OTA Digital signals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichN, Feb 11, 2002.

1. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

Since the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, here goes. I just bought a Radio Shack "digital" indoor antenna to connect to the AUX input of my XBR450. My local, digital OTA channels are 17,26,29,31,36 & 56, yet I get one on 66 and another on 101. Something else comes in on 104 and I get the local Spanish network channel on 107. 66 and 101 LOOK like digital channels, but why don't I get anything on the channels where I am supposed to get a signal? I realize my TV cannot receive 720i, and I know different networks braodcast in different formats, but I would think that I should at least get the channels I AM receiving on the correct stations. Any ideas (besides buying a digital tuner)?
    RichN [​IMG]

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Sony's specs for the XBR450 didn't say anything about digital tuning, therefore I conclude nothing is supposed to happen on digital channels unless you have a digital tuner, sold separately. Also, the channel numbers for UHF analog stations, for cable TV, and for digital TV do not stand for the same frequency bands. Your TV appears to be set up for cable-readiness (use menu to change this to VHF/UHF) and cable channels 66 and 101 happen to correspond with some existing analog UHF stations.
    I take it that the "digital antenna" you purchased is just an antenna, without a DTV/HDTV tuner inside its base.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Right... what Allan said.
    What you need is something like the RCA DCT100 "High-Definition Digital Receiver". That's probably the cheapest option ($~550). There are others such as Sony SATHD100, Toshiba DST3000, or Panasonic TUHDS20.
    Any of those will receive those digital channels and output component video compatible with the XBR450.
    -Steve