iClickPhotography

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If a small indoor antenna currently works, then try an inexpensive UHF / VHF antenna when your channels move to VHF.

If it doesn't work, you can then investigate more serious upgrades, like an attic or outdoors antenna.

I'm in a similar situation: I have the antenna I linked and it's acceptable. So I'm waiting for the complete transition, for a couple of stations to move from UHF to VHF, and for trees to get their leaves back. All of that may affect my reception and so this summer I may need a better antenna or something in the attic or on the roof.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I (and my in-laws) have been using a ~$50 RadioShack mid-size(?) powered, indoor/omnidirectional antenna for several years now. Seems to work pretty well in combo w/ recently produced OTA tuners in the NYC area despite all the multipath issues. Of course, haven't tried it w/ any VHF-band digital reception (that I'm aware of) yet.

Too bad RS no longer seems to make that model anymore -- then again, they seem to have a pretty high turnover rate for these things in general even though each new product cycle probably doesn't improve much, if any at all.

But yeah, I'd go w/ DaveF's suggestion to hold off and wait til the actual switchover in June before spending good $$$ on another antenna, especially if what you have now works fine enough.

_Man_

Real Name
Wendell R. Breland
Unless you have a need for Lo-Band VHF (2-6) then I would use one of the new Winegards intended for Hi-Band VHF (7-13) and UHF. Click this page for info.

I use a Winegard PR-9032 (UHF) and a Winegard YA-1713 Hi-Band VHF (7-13) antenna. Hi-Band VHF antennas have much shorter elements than full band VHF antennas.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
How well an antenna will work inside an attic is dependent on several factors, not the least of which is the composition of your roof. Tile roofing blocks signals, as does foil-backed insulation batting. I have a stone-coated steel roof on a building with double-thickness stucco walls--indoor or attic antennas are useless for me.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
This is not true. It maybe where he is but there are a number of stations around the country broadcasting on VHF. Two within 60 miles of me.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Before this thread I had no idea there was VHF digital stations! Here it is UHF only! Sorry my bad!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There are a few smaller markets (my own Fresno being one) in which the analog broadcasts were only on UHF--these are the ones in which digital broadcasts are showing up on VHF frequencies. In my area there are 3 digital VHF channels, including the ABC affilliate.

In addition, many of the larger market stations whose digital broadcasts are currently on UHF will switch them over to VHF when the analog broadcasts are finally turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks