OTA antenna question - is it possible to....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DerekM, Jan 2, 2005.

1. DerekM

DerekM Agent

use the existing rg-6 QS cable that I'm currently running to my dish & run a diplexer to connect an OTA antenna for local HDTV reception? My father-in-law gave me the clip-on terk antenna for Christmas that attaches to the dish, but it's not strong enough. I live about 25 miles from the antennas, and am thinking about getting the Channel Master 4228, because I live on the other side of a pretty large "mountain". I've been using a radio shack double-bow tie antenna, and have been able to get NBC, CBS, PBS - but the wife doesn't particularly like the cable being run across the floor & out the door. I just ran a separate RG-6 cable in my attic - thinking that if I could receive reception on ground level outside, then it would surely work in my attic. I purchased a LARGE VHF/UHF/FM antenna from Radio Shack to just see if it was possible - didn't get anything. I would much rather use my current cable coming from my dish if AT ALL possible - is it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, diplexers allow you to run both signals down the same cable, but I understand there is a penalty in picture quality.
    What does that mean, “didn’t get anything?” A big antenna should bring in the stations beautifully, much more so than the Terk or double-bow tie.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. DerekM

DerekM Agent

The "bigger than my house" antenna didn't pick up any digital broadcasts within my attic. It was able to pick up some analog, but no digital. The double-bow-tie was able to receive NBC, CBS, PBS in digital via RG-59 run across my living room to the outside. I get a great signal on my dish, I'm just wanting to also mount the OTA antenna to the back of my house in the same general location & direction of the broadcasting antennas. Any help would be much appreciated.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’m not sure if digital needs a special antenna or not, but if your bow tie was picking them up I’m guessing not. Even if not, the rooftop should be able to blow away the bow-tie with regular channels, especially the distance you are from the broadcast towers.

The only reason a bow tie would outperform a “real” antenna would be if the latter isn’t oriented correctly towards the towers (the large antennas are directional), or the cable or transformers feeding the signal is bad. Simple as that.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt