What's new

OTA antenna in attic for TV and FM? (1 Viewer)

I'm going to get DirecTV, and I need to get an OTA antenna to get my local channels in HDTV. It has to go in my attic (homeowners rules against being on the roof). I'd also like to get something that can pickup FM, since my reception for that is very poor. Radio Shack sells a model 15-2152 for $40 that supposedly gets VHF up to 90 miles and FM up to 70 miles. Do I have some better options? I think Fanfare's antennas are for FM only.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
David,
I'm in a similar predicament and I just spoke to an "Antenna Guy" who was installing an antenna for my friend. He said that by putting the antenna in the attic you seriously limit the signal reception. His suggestion was to get an UHF-only antenna that is smaller than the maximum size where HOA can't interfere and install that on the roof. He said HDTV is predominantly in the UHF band. I decided to put that on hold since right now there isn't an easy and cheap way to time-shift HDTV and I normally don't have time to watch it live so I can't vouch for what he said but he did sound like he knew what he was talking about.
Of course if you're within 15-20 miles from the transmitter, it will still work, but I'm a lot farther away than that :frowning:
Check out the Channel Master UHF antennas.
Sorry, don't know about FM.
--Dmitry

Dmitry,

Thanks for the reply. I would have thought the local channels would be in the VHF range, but maybe HDTV is different. I'll have to check our HOA regulations. I know they can't stop me from getting a small satellite dish, but I'm not sure if I'm also protected against regulations against small rooftop antennas. Some shows (NYPD Blue, ER, etc.) are apparently broadcase in HDTV, but I wonder if just a small rooftop antenna (you're saying attic antennas might not work) will give you the full signal definition.

-David

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
David, the same anttenna man told me that all the channels with numbers up to 14 are transmitted in VHF and higher numbered channels -- in UHF, even in analog world. According to him, nearly all if not all HDTV channels are broadcast in UHF range -- not surprisingly, if you look for Channel Master's "HDTV" antennas, they are all UHF only. As for the attic installation -- again, it depends on how far away from the station you are, some people who are really close can get HDTV with rabbit ears. I would try to find a local antenna installation business if there is one and collect as much info as possible.

Good luck,

Dmitry

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Some shows (NYPD Blue, ER, etc.) are apparently broadcase in HDTV, but I wonder if just a small rooftop antenna (you're saying attic antennas might not work) will give you the full signal definition.
With HDTV, you can't get partial definition. You either get it or you don't. It's not like analog where it looks better or worse depending on the antenna placement... digital is, for the most part, on or off. If you can see it, then moving your antenna will not get you a better or worse picture.

Thanks for the link to the Telecommunications Act of 1996. When I called my HOA, they said I couldn't put an OTA antenna on the roof of my single family home. When I mentioned the above Act, they quickly changed their tune. Also, I appreciate the clarification that the HD signal is "you either get it or you don't" (no partial signal). Can I install my dish at the base of one side of my chimney and my OTA antenna on the other side of the chimney, or will I get interference with such an arrangement? How far away does the OTA antenna have to be from the dish?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Can I install my dish at the base of one side of my chimney and my OTA antenna on the other side of the chimney, or will I get interference with such an arrangement? How far away does the OTA antenna have to be from the dish?
They should not interfere with one another. You can buy OTA antennas that clip right on the dish itself, so you should be able to mount them side by side without problems.

You WILL run into problems if you try to mount a transmitter of any sort anywhere near your dish. I've got a wireless broadband connection to the Internet, and I mounted my dish and the broadband antenna on a common pole with the dish 3 feet underneath the antenna. Even though the dish was behind the transmitter, it was still powerful enough that any time data was sent (in other words, every few seconds, and especially when someone visited my web page) I'd lose my dish signal. Tried all sorts of different things before I figured out what the problem was. Moved the dish 20 feet away and solved it.

But since you're only going to be receiving, not transmitting, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks