OTA antenna hookup through satellite cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eric_thr, Jan 7, 2003.

1. eric_thr

eric_thr Extra

I have a DST3000 STB and the oval Direct TV dish. I want to receive the network HDTV broadcasts, especially the NFL. Is it possible to use an OTA outside and plug the signal into the multi-switch to receive the signal? All rooms in my house are finished and I would have a hard time running a new wire for the antenna.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I do not think you can..Every Set top box I have seen has a seperate input for the OTA antenna...The encoding circuitry in the STB is different for OTA HD signals vs Satellite HD singnals, which is why there is a separate connection for the OTA antenna vs the sat dish..

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It's easy but you will have to buy some more equipment. If you only want to get the antenna signal to your HD stb, then you only need a diplexer. Searching over at Parts Express, I found ones from $4.50 to $30. They even have installation diagrams on the PE site.

That gets the antenna signal combined with the sat signal but what about splitting them back out. The diagrams at the PE site use another diplexer to split the signal apart but you don't need that. Your STB is a clone of the Hughes E-86 and it has a built in diplexer. Just keep the coax connected as usual. There is a menu option to tell the receiver which input is receiving the antenna signal. Just set it to "sat input". It's that easy.

-Robert

4. eric_thr

eric_thr Extra

Thanks, diplexer setup works great.