OT: a new table saw

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryLP, Feb 24, 2003.

1. GaryLP

GaryLP Agent

[​IMG]

I just got a table saw to speed up the construction of my basement. It seems pretty decent. This should really help me with my future DIY projects.

All of a sudden all of my friends want me to build them enclosures, speaker stand, shelves, and you name it. My gf's friend who I almost never speak to actually had the nerve to ask me to build her a coffee table. What am I...a carpenter? I don't mine them using my machine or giving somebody help, but there's no way in hell I'm building anybody anything. I simply don't have the time. As if building my basement isn't a big enough project! Okay...my rant is over...for now.

2. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

And so the requests begin. The trick is Gary, you must find the good in every situation. So I propose a question: How "close" are your GF & her friend??????? Maybe you can work out some type of "deal" between the 3 of you............[​IMG]
    Have sorority girls skewed my vision of reality? Hmmmm..... I think so...... [​IMG]

3. GaryLP

GaryLP Agent

Chris...you crack me up! Stop putting ideas in my head because my gf's friend is hot.

Perhaps I'll come up with a deal a little safer...perhaps building her a coffee table in exchange for her helping me build my basement for a day...nude of course![​IMG]

4. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

ahh the joys of having a table saw. It all begins from there.[​IMG]

5. BrandonB

BrandonB Agent

That is one heavy duty table saw! How did something like that set you back, if you don't mind me asking? I've got DIY fever right now!! I recently bought a house, and I'm finishing the basement now. I just can't seem to get enough tools!!!

You could suggest that your GF's frind give you a nice oil rub down to work out the soreness of building her table (again, nude of course). [​IMG]

6. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

I've got a Ryobi BT3000. Set me back around $400 and has been great. Of course, there are definitely better/more powerful saws out there, but those are 2-4 times more expensive. The good thing about the Ryobi is its accuracy. There is also a great online community at http://www.ryobitools.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Gary, send those girls to me for their projects[​IMG]

8. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

My table saw has helped me in many ways, but getting chicks is definitely not one of them. Of course, I'm not sure I want to be involved with women that get excited about power tools.[​IMG]

9. DarrellC

DarrellC Stunt Coordinator

I know what you mean about requests. My 2 car garage is a woodworking shop now. I have a 3hp table saw, 8" jointer, bandsaw, chopsaw, drill press, planer, and all of the hand tools too. My neighbors saw a butler table and entertainment center I built and they are lined up for projects. The only problem is they want me to do the work for free. What am I????????????

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Gary,

What model saw is that and how much $$$? I've been looking into one for our clan, miss the good old days in the lumber yard. Need one with decent amount of power and durability, but $500 would be the max for something like this.

Thanks,
    Joe

11. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

It's WAY too clean in that photo... Get some dust a flyin'! [​IMG]

rf

12. GaryLP

GaryLP Agent

13. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

That saw will work out nice. It's belt driven correct?
    If you are serious about your work & do a lot of projects it's well worth it in the long run. That & a big fence. I started off with a regular delta but realized I wanted something bigger & better so I got this one but with a bigger fence so I could easily rip sheets of MDF, plywood, or whatever [​IMG]

Tell your GF's friend I do nice custom work that won't cost her much. I'm sure we could "work out" something. What state are you in? (please be FL...please be FL...please be FL... [​IMG] )

14. GaryLP

GaryLP Agent

Sorry Chris...I'm in Canada.

Yes...the saw is belt driven.

15. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

hey maine is practicly canada [​IMG]

I was in Sears the other day and have to say that what they put out for table saws these days are complete crap, theres so much play in the fence and just all around the quality has gone down. I built my tempest sub on a very nice delta table saw from the early 70's if not earlier, the motor was running on 110 but was rewired for 220 and let me tell you this thing ment business, all steel all the way around, solid and very accurate.

heres a pic
    http://homepage.mac.com/alrossnin/.P...6-0613_IMG.jpg
    its kinda wide pic but its in the center

16. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

I changed the fence on my Craftsman to one of their Bessmyer knockoffs... I love it. Accurate as can be. No need to keep measuring from front of blade to rear of blade for squareness.

Also...you can join the Craftsman club and get another 10 percent off on Craftsman days from whatever price they are selling the tool you may be looking at.

And so it starts.....new blades...dado's...shapers...but get you a book on jigs....you can save a lot of money by making your own.

17. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Is there a floor underneath that dust?