What's new

OSX Mavericks is out now, for free, downloadable in app store (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Sam Posten said:
Back up your Mac before installing

BACK UP your mac before installing!

BACK UP YOUR MAC before installing!!!!!
You forgot the most important thing, wait until 10.9.1 before installing, :D

-Keith

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've been running Mavericks since the betas on my MacBook Air, and it has been very stable. I installed both the GM versions, and it's running smoothly.

On the Mac mini, I installed Mavericks this afternoon, then a slew of updates, including iTunes, 64-bit iPhoto, iMovie, and Pages (I don't have the latest versions of Keynote and Numbers).

Then iOS 7.0.3 was released. I updated the iPhone 5S and the accelerometer issues were suddenly fixed. Now I need to update the iPad.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Everyone should follow Sam's advice. Actually if you have the room, time and inclination, I'd recommend a bootable clone over a backup. Carbon Copy Cloner (now no longer free) and Super Duper (still free for basic cloning, advanced functions are donation-ware) are my tools of choice for cloning.

Hope everyone enjoys Mavericks! I know that people will always complain about something in every new OS, but I guess this is Apple's way of making sure people don't complain about the price. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And if you backup and use an encryption password, don't lose it. :eek:

Also check software compatibility on major programs before upgrading. Don't want to be surprised by an unplanned Adobe purchase.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Upgraded to Mavericks yesterday and so far everything is gravy. The only weirdness I have found so far is when Time Machine backs up, the toolbar icon is no longer animated on my MBP. Can anyone confirm this on your systems?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I haven't updated my wife's MBP yet. It's a late 2011 non-retina 15". It should be able to handle the upgrade fine but I want the software to be out a few more days before I install.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Upgraded my 2007 MBP. Easy peasy.

BusyCal 1.6 is not compatible. Don't think I want to upgrade BusyCal for $50. The main reason I bought that several years ago was to share and sync calendars across Macs on my LAN. That's not an issue anymore with iCloud and iPhones.

So far everything is working ok.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you use iMovie, the update makes a compete duplicate of your iMovie events and projects. It is also not completely compatible, so before you discard the dupes to reclaim space, check that you've got finished projects exported and viewable in the new version. I'm enthused about feature parity on iWork. This is a good thing for me. Overall, this is the easiest OS X update I've done in 7 years, since going from jaguar to leopard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks