Osmosis Jones: Overlooked gem and excellent DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I rented Osmosis Jones for the weekend and it's great!

This is definately one of the best DVD's put out...it has an average bitrate of 7.30 (!) and reference quality video and sound.

The animation is very neat and it's a pity it did so badly at the box office...

Anyone else with this DVD care to share their thoughts?

I'd like to add that it's terrible that most people call this a Farrely Brothers film, despite the fact they only directed the handful of live-action scenes. Give credit where credit is due to Piet Kroom!

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I loved it as well. I put off watching it for quite awhile simply because it didn't look all that appealing. I must say, it was a real gem that was quite funny. The video and audio were superb, to say the least.

Bruce

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm with you guys! I thought it was an extremely underrated flick...and a sweet DVD too! I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but this one was a very LARGE box-office disappointment. It's really not a bad little movie.

4. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

The cost was approx. $70 and it made something like $13, IIRC. Don't quote me on that, I am going from IMDb memory.

I loved the animated parts, personally, but I hated all of the live-action "gross out" stuff. Murray was horrible. I toyed with buying it, then rented, then was mixed on the film, but sorta wished I'd just bought it (for $15 or whatever).

Now, though, months later, I have no desire to see it again and I'm glad I rented it. But I agree, it is way underrated and deserves to be seen at least once. The DVD is nice too, with a funny commentary track.

5. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Hmph... this movie has been "in the mail" for about 5 weeks now. Another 3 before Dvdboxoffice will take steps.

(First real foulup, besides not stating Lost Highway was p&s.)

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Excellent animated film. Definitely worth the purchase IMHO. One of the best blind purchases I've made in regards to DVDs.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Couldn't agree with you more, Patrick. I saw this opening weekend in theatres and I bought the DVD the day it came out [​IMG]. I have a degree in biology, which helps for some of the more esoteric jokes in Osmosis, but the science they use is pretty rock hard and it makes for some hilarious buddy cop action.
    I agree that some of the live-action is pretty weak, but it certainly links to the animated stuff well, which is the main point of the movie. It's a real hidden gem that I hope more people end up discovering, but at least I've got my copy [​IMG].
    I actually watched it just last night, coincidentally. That commentary track leaves me in stitches every time...