What's new

OSD -> What do you do about the component/S-Video issue (1 Viewer)

Derek N

Agent
I just bought a HK AVR-325 that has OSD but not through the component hook-up. I was curious as to how those of you that have had this feature use it (if at all). I did not buy the receiver for the video swithing, although I do plan to use it. Of course I would like to use the best connection method possible which is component. Alas its noted that OSD does not work with component, only S-Video/composite.

What are the options?

Hook an S-Video cable up for set up, then connect component and lose the feature.

Can't have both hooked up at once can you?

Since I am not using a digital TV would leaving the S-Video hooked up instead of component be noticable? ( I went right to component when I got my first DVD player, never used s-video. I do however understand that the split signal of component is better, just wondering if my standard Toshiba 36" tube would show the difference)

Thanks
Derek

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Hook up both s-video and component video. Then it's just a matter of changing the video input on the tv when you need the OSD. Component and S-vid should be on different inputs. I don't recall ever seeing a tv where they shared them. HOpe that helps.

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Check my recent thread on this sort of issue. I've been surprised and dismayed that few receivers and processors allow for an OSD thru the component video outputs. For me, the inconvenience of having to switch television inputs really outweighs the seemingly minor benefits of keeping the OSD off of the component video path.

This is the link to that thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144044

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
My Lexicon MC-12 doesn't support component OSD. I never bothered hooking up the S-video and switching inputs on the scaler. I just use the display on the Lex...

Call me lazy.

John Royster

Screenwriter
I uses picture in picture as well.

But I rarely need to the OSD. Once its set there isn't much else you need a OSD for.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Count me as one that is glad not to be using the OSD 'feature'. I am constantly fiddling with minor sound issues- raising or lowering the center or sub by a db or 2, and I know if it was always coming up on the screen, it would be annoying as hell. Not to mention the the sighs and evil eye I would get.
I just keep a spare input connected with a composite cable for when the OSD is absolutely necessary.
But I don't get the logic of the companies on this- some fairly expensive receivers don't output the OSD via component. Wouldn't they expect people buying these would be using component connections? Perhaps a greater expense is involved? Or a degradation of video quality?

I read in an AVS forum thread a good while ago that manufacturers don't have OSD via Component because it degrades the video quality. This was stated by one of the engineers from Fosgate Audionics as I recall. I did a search for the thread, but can't find it now. The gist of it was this: OSD thru component would introduce video artifacts at ALL times, not just when the OSD was being used, hence the decision to have no OSD thru the component connections.

Maybe future Component video implementations will find a way around this, but for now, no OSD via Component.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I also thought this was a big issue. But then, as somebody stated above. I simply connected a svs cable from my pre/pro to one of the inputs from my TV. Now I watch all my programming through component and when I want to make a change to my system, I pick up the remote and switch video inputs to the correct one, make the change, and then switch back. This takes all of, what, about 5 seconds to switch the input? Don't understand the comment about how this is an issue. Or, as also stated, I can do it via the display on my ref 50 if I prefer.

Derek N

Agent
Thanks for all the suggestions. My TV only has two inputs, one the component and the second is a shared composite/s-video hook up which is currently used by the VCR (supposedly gives a better picture). Not that I use the VCR much and could certainly simply hook it to the receiver thus freeing up the hookup. (which is what I will be doing anyway). About that, the tv manual says to use either the video composite or the s-video hook up but not both. While i can understand it in reference to the same component, would it be possible to use both video hookups of input 1, since its different sources?

Also, those of you that use PIP (which I have as well) are you saying that you basically hookup the s-video in say vid1 of the tv and then component to vid2. Then while watching using the component through the receiver you bring up the pip frame and the osd is in it. This then allows you to watch the source and make adjustments without having to stop the source (so as not to miss anything) as opposed to switching the input (getting a blank screen) to make adjustments and then back to the feature.

I basically want it for set-up and occasional changes. I can see where the constant poping up with every volume change would get annoying, esp. to the boss ;)

Derek

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
An idea. Why not run your VCR, DVD, etc directly into your receiver, allowing it to do the video switching and then run the receiver component out to the TV. This way you get the best picture from all sources switched through the receiver. This frees up the second input on the TV so you can run a SVS cable from the receiver into the TV thus getting the OSD for setup. As the majority, if not all, of the setups you will be performing are all audio setups, there is really no reason why you would have to switch back and forth anyway, make sense?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Someone I know had limited inputs and same situation. I ran the OSD output from the receiver to the VCR. He has to switch the input on the VCR to 'line', and then he can see the OSD when he has the TV on the input for the VCR.

I think this would solve your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks