What's new

OSD problem (1 Viewer)

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Hi, i just purchased a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver and would like to use the on screen display for setup of the unit. I have an S-video cable going from a JVC DVD/VCR combo to the receiver, and then another s-video going from the monitor out of the receiver to my panasonic television. I have enabled video conversion as stated in the manual for the receiver, as well as switched the remote control to "amp". Im then supposed to be able to toggle between "off, half and full screen" modes for the receiver's osd by pressing "display" on the remote, however it will not toggle and just goes back to displaying whatever sound field its set on. Is it possible my tv(which is pretty outdated) is keeping it from changing? There are no component inputs on the TV, strictly composite and 1 S-video(preferably used for DVD in this case) Thanks for the help, its appreciated.

Danklin.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The TV isn't keeping it from changing as the receiver is the one generating the display. I haven't read the manual for you Yamaha, but the video conversion is usually used to take composite and S-video and convert them to component. It is possible since this feature is enabled that the Yamaha thinks you are using the component output for your on screen display. Try turning off the video conversion and see if that clears your issue.

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Thanks for the reply Adam. I have tried turning off video conversion and still nothing. This receiver also upconverts composite signals to S-video but that isnt necessary in my setup as my DVD player goes to the receiver via s-video as well. I think the first thing i need to figure out is how to connect my dvd/vcr combo to my receiver correctly. Is it stands i have an S-video for DVD signal and a composite to the vcr in inputs from the combo player. Is this corrent or do i just need the S-video? I also have the RCA cables connected to the reciver for vcr audio and an optical cable for dvd audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks