What's new

OSD and Yamaha Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Update: I've found the answer that I was seeking. With the Yamaha HTR-5760, signals can only be "up-converted" to the S-Video level. Due to this limited feature on the HTR-5760, the OSD information will only be displayed while a compsite or S-Video connection is being used. It will not display OSD information if Component cables are being utilized.

However, with the other Yamaha receivers that up-convert to the component video level (1400/2400/5790 & Z9) the OSD information should be displayed when using component cables.

OK, I've combed through my manual a few times, but couldn't find the proper answer, so I'm calling on my fellow-HTF folks to get an answer.

On the back of my Yammy HTR-5760, there are "monitor out" connectors for composite, S-Video and component cable connections.

I currently am using component cables to connect my DVD player to the receiver for the purpose of video switching and then a set of component cables run between the receiver and the TV.

The OSD (On Screen Display) only works when I run a video cable from the composite connector to the TV - the component connection does not pass the OSD data to the screen. I haven't tried S-Video yet, so I can't answer to that one.

Now, I'm assuming that Yamaha does not provide a means for those who use component cables to utilize the OSD. I don't need the full access of the OSD while using the component cables, but some of the simple data (volume level, etc.) would be great if it were to appear for a few seconds.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Update: I've found the answer that I was seeking. With the Yamaha HTR-5760, we know that signals can only be "up-converted" to the S-Video level. Due to this limited feature on the HTR-5760, the OSD information will only be displayed while a compsite or S-Video connection is being used. It will not display OSD information if Component cables are being utilized.

However, with the other Yamaha receivers that up-convert to the component video level (1400/2400/5790 & Z9) the OSD information should be displayed when using component cables.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Wayne, If you only have 1 Component source (DVD) why bother hooking the Component Cables through the receiver at all & then to the tv? I would just hook the DVD Component Cable directly to the TV.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Bill,

While I would tend to agree with you and for several years (and the past 3 receivers) I've avoided using the AVR as a switching device. I've always thought it was "no biggie" to have the receiver perform that function and buying another set of cables was a waste. However, what prompted me on my mission to find an answer was my desire to have some of the functions of the OSD work while the DVD is connected and playing. I find that I prefer having the volume information for the receiver being displayed on the screen when an adjustment is made.

Also, I wanted the OSD to work for my family because are are much less literate with HT. Having the ability to display the volume information on the screen makes things easier for them, too.

:) :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Yes I known what you mean & anything that helps making it easier for family members is exactly what you want. The only thing I can think of is to run the S-Video Out on the DVD to the Receiver & then the S-Video Out on the Receiver to say S-Video 1 Input on the TV & then run the DVD Component Out Directly to say Video 2 Input on the TV. That way if you left the TV set on Video 1 for the family they would get all the ON-Screen info for everything & when you wanted the upgraded Component Video Signal from the DVD Player you would just switch the TV to Video Input 2.
TV Video 1 Input = All sources with On-Screen Info
TV Video 2 Input = DVD Component Video No On-Screen Info

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

That's a great suggestion - something I didn't think of. At the moment, the S-Video connection to my 32" Sony Vega is as good as the component video connection. However, if I go with a DLP screen of larger size, then I suspect the s-video might show its limitations - and also my non-progressive scan DVD player might need to be updated also.

I guess upgrades never cease. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I'm glad I could help you out & I'm sure that's what Yamaha was thinking when they designed your Receiver & I'm surprised Yamaha din't mention it in the owners manual somewhere in the set up section or maybe your like me & you just can't wait to get the "new" gear up & running so you never even bother with owners manuals because we think we know what we are doing :D I don't know how many times I've setup things & then it ends up with "Back To The Drawing Board" with the owners manual :angry:

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne..

I have the rx-v1400 and let it upconvert my composite and s-video to component. When this is done, the OSD such as volume or input appears on the tv. If the signal is component, the OSD does not appear. ONLY when you go into the menu does the OSD shows up and whatever signal you had going is removed. This is not a error but that is how the receiver is designed. Component signals are treated as straight pass through and are not intefered with OSD signals. The Denon 3803 worked the same way when it upconverted signals. I'm not sure of ther 3805. If you go into the menu with a component signal such as your DVD, you will see that the DVD image is removed and the Menu OSD appears. This is to keep the component signal as pure as possible.

-Vic

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Vic,

Thanks for your response. I guess I just assumed all along that a receiver that could "up-convert" to component video would be able to display the on-screen information such as the volume level over the picture being displayed. But, I can also understand the potential desire to keep a video signal as pure as possible, too.

That would have been one of my points in going to a higher level of receiver than the Yamaha HTR-5760.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks