What's new

OSCAR-WINNERS STILL MISSING ON BLU-RAY (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
By my count, eleven:

1929 - Broadway Melody

1931 - Cimarron

1936 - The Great Ziegfeld

1937 - The Life Of Emile Zola

1938 - You Can't Take It With You

1944 - Going My Way

1948 - Hamlet

1952 - The Greatest Show On Earth

1956 - Around the World In 80 Days

1963 - Tom Jones

1980 - Ordinary People

I can understand the delay in getting us the pre-1950's stuff. But Paramount and/or Warner Bros. should have been able to give us three of the remaining four titles by now, and MGM has been dragging its proverbial ass on TOM JONES (which, BTW, has had a very decent 1080 master, as have GREATEST SHOW and AROUND THE WORLD, leaving ORDINARY PEOPLE totally neglected as far as I can tell).

Thirteen films out of 87 Oscar-winners since 1928. Can we move this along, please? Many thanks! :)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Now here is a topic for me!!

Is the German release of HAMLET region locked like the UK release?

I'm puzzled as to why some of these films have been left off the table; I understand the 30's ones, but ORDINARY PEOPLE? AROUND THE WORLD?

Would be nice to have them in my collection, not to mention the missing nominees... :/

COME ON WARNERS!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Can you imagine WB doing for some of these what they did in the "1939" box? The first four on the list, Broadway Melody, Cimarron, The Great Ziegfeld and Life of Emile Zola, would make a splendid set. Of course, I'd hope they would release them separately, as well, for we single title collectors. It'd be just the thing to fire me up and get my under-exercised wallet working again.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Suprised about "You Can't Take It With You". Seen it on TCM and it's a good Capra film with fine performances by James Stewart, Lionel Barrymore and the always excellent Edward Arnold.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Greatest Show On Earth was on TV (UK) in HD last year, looking very nice, also, Around The World In 80 Days, but I was a lot less impressed with the PQ on that.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
atcolomb said:
Suprised about "You Can't Take It With You". Seen it on TCM and it's a good Capra film with fine performances by James Stewart, Lionel Barrymore and the always excellent Edward Arnold.
You Can't Take it With You has had a new 4k restoration (just like It Happened One Night and Mr Smith Goes to Washington) by Fox so I assume it will get a release at some point, possibly by Criterion.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
atfree said:
You Can't Take it With You has had a new 4k restoration (just like It Happened One Night and Mr Smith Goes to Washington) by Fox so I assume it will get a release at some point, possibly by Criterion.

I have heard that most of the Capra's had new restorations/remasterings (Mr. Deeds Goes To Town, etc.) However, I thought it was Sony that did this, not Fox. I could be wrong though.

Also, TCM recently showed Meet John Doe (with a Sony logo on the end) and it looked terrific.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
David Weicker said:
I have heard that most of the Capra's had new restorations/remasterings (Mr. Deeds Goes To Town, etc.) However, I thought it was Sony that did this, not Fox. I could be wrong though.

Also, TCM recently showed Meet John Doe (with a Sony logo on the end) and it looked terrific.
You are correct... Sony not Fox....its been a long week [emoji3]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks