What's new

Oscar Watch 2005 - pre-awards discussion (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
It's a crime that Sin City isn't under consideration for VFX. The whole movie is a VFX! I wonder if it's poliical.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Kong is gaining momentum:

From BFCA:
"Many BFCA members wanted to vote for Kong for best actor because they were so impressed by the astonishing way in which he expresses love, lust, humor and rage in the tradition of the finest human actors," BFCA president Joey Berlin said. "The BFCA board of directors feels this recognition is necessary to live up to our goal of honoring the finest in cinematic achievement at the Critics' Choice Awards show."

San Diego Film Critics Name King Kong Best Film

plus here's an interesting article:
http://www.oscarwatch.com/moveablety...ml#000407#more

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Chicago Film Critics Nominations

Best Picture
Brokeback Mountain
Crash
Good Night, and Good Luck
A History of Violence
King Kong

Best Foreign Language Film
Cache
Downfall
Kung - Fu Hustle
Oldboy

Best Director
George Clooney: Good Night, and Good Luck
David Cronenberg: A History of Violence
Peter Jackson: King Kong
Ang Lee: Brokeback Mountain
Steven Spielberg: Munich

Best Screenplay
Brokeback Mountain by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana
Capote by Dan Futterman
Crash by Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco
Good Night, and Good Luck by George Clooney & Grant Heslov
A History of Violence by Josh Olson

Best Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Joaquin Phoenix - Walk the Line
David Strathairn - Good Night, and Good Luck

Best Actress
Joan Allen - The Upside of Anger
Felicity Huffman - Transamerica
Keira Knightley - Pride & Prejudice
Naomi Watts - King Kong
Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Dillon - Crash
Terrence Howard - Crash
Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man
Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain
Mickey Rourke - Sin City
Donald Sutherland - Pride & Prejudice

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams - Junebug
Maria Bello - A History of Violence
Scarlett Johansson - Match Point
Catherine Keener - Capote
Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams - Brokeback Mountain

Best Original Score
Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard
Brokeback Mountain - Gustavo Santaolalla
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Danny Elfman
King Kong - James Newton Howard
Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Best Cinematography
Brokeback Mountain - Rodrigo Prieto
Good Night, and Good Luck - Robert Elswit
King Kong - Andrew Lesnie
Munich - Janusz Kaminski
The New World - Emmanuel Lubezki
Pride & Prejudice - Roman Osin

Best Documentary
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Grizzly Man
Mad Hot Ballroom
March of the Penguins
Murderball

Most Promising Performer
Chris "Ludacris" Bridges - Crash and Hustle & Flow
Georgie Henley - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Miranda July - Me and You and Everyone We Know
Q’Orianka Kilcher - The New World
Owen Kline - The Squid and the Whale

Most Promising Director
Craig Brewer - Hustle & Flow
Miranda July - Me and You and Everyone We Know
Bennett Miller - Capote
Phil Morrison - Junebug
Joe Wright - Pride & Prejudice

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
My picks for noms would now read like this:

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (lock)
CRASH
WALK THE LINE
CAPOTE
and either MUNICH or GNGL

Ho hum...a pretty thin and uninteresting year IMO. But, I'll at least watch the beginning of the show to see how Stewart does.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

I strongly disagree, but then, since my favorite film of the year is the frontrunner, I'm biased I suppose (and thrilled). I love all the films in contention except Walk the Line, but I even liked that quite a bit. This year nothing has made me say "WTF? Ugh" about a movie in contention. It's been a wonderful year for movies and it'll be a wonderful Oscars.

And Jon Stewart??!! I love it! It just keeps getting better and better!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Vickie--it is really neat to see a movie you love get all the accolades. I (and Chuck I'm sure) experienced that to a greater degree in 1998 with Titanic. No movie I have downright loved has won since then.

I'm glad I didn't follow the oscars in 1978...I would have fallen dead when Star Wars lost to Annie Hall (which is a great movie I'm sure)...I wouldn't have been able to take it. :D

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I WAS crushed, Chris! :D I was too young to have been interested in seeing ANNIE HALL. I understand now, but I was devastated back then.

This year is comparable (to me) to 2 years ago. CHICAGO won then, and it was and is utterly forgettable. I expect BBM to win this year, and it is the same to me. The only difference is that I would have loved to see GoNY or TWO TOWERS win against CHICAGO and thought that was an ok year. This year, CAPOTE MAY make my Top 10 list (and it is a hard list for me due to the mediocre field), but none of the other potential noms will.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Unfortunately, Titanic won it's Oscars as I was working a MORNING EXERCISE in the Mediterranean next to a little chunk of Italy. I saw none of those wins, and had to read about them via teletype news later that afternoon (or evening). A good HTF friend did supply me with the Oscars telecast on DVD-R, though. 2001 was tough, and not really for FOTR. I would have been more than content watching FOTR lose to Black Hawk Down (unnommed) or Moulin Rouge, or PJ lose to Baz Luhrmman (unnommed) or Ridley Scott. But none of those things happened. I let it (and my investment) in the Oscars go.

I think it was a great year for films myself. I'm a little sad that Batman is getting ZERO notice at all (as it's as well-crafted as any straight drama this year...moreso than most), but I had the feeling a few months ago that the movie business want to reassert themselves as "important", "relevant", and serious after ROTK. The Oscars will reflect that, to some extent. So will the viewership, though.

Great choice in host!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

As I am sad that GL isn't getting any props for SITH...but alas, I've learned to live with disappointment at Oscar time.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
L.A. Confidential was my favorite film in 1997 (1998 Oscars) but I did (and still do) love Titanic too. I saw it 5 times in the theater, so I was very happy that it swept. It deserved everything it got.

I was even more thrilled by the Return of the King sweep, but the movie didn't hold the deep, magical love of Fellowship of the Ring for me. I loved it but didn't feel the adoring awe I felt with FOTR. No matter though, it was the Best. Oscars. Ever. for me, because I felt that every award was for the series as a whole. Fair or unfair, I didn't care.

Brokeback Mountain isn't like those other movies. It's so very quiet and humble, yet majestic. Sweeping vistas and intimate feelings. Tragic, beautiful, sad, haunting. It dug deep into my heart, and I can't stop thinking about it. I want to see it again, maybe several more times. I can't think of a more deserving Best Picture winner. Munich, well, I could handle it upsetting BBM, but only barely, and nothing else.

Luckily it doesn't look like I'll have to handle anything else upsetting BBM. As more people see the movie, the love for it will grow, and as I said in the other thread, I don't think it's possible for it to have a backlash against it. I don't see how anyone could negatively campaign against it either. It's a simple, beautiful and tragic love story. How do you start a whisper campaign against that? There's nothing for a negative campaign to focus on. Anti-gay campaigning would be the biggest mistake ever, and what else is there? Nothing. That's why there won't be any negative campaigns. It won't win because it's a liberal gay Hollywood movie, it'll win because it deserves to win. It'll win because people will love it enough to vote for it.

I have no doubt in my mind.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
BATMAN BEGINS is likely my #1 film on the year, but I knew that wasn't getting award consideration the moment I walked out of the theater...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, to be fair, I don't think the writing and acting in BB deserves a nom. Well, maybe an Ensemble/Cast nod...the performances were that good overall (though there wasn't a singular GREAT performance). But I'd like more than the VES for it. Art Direction, Editing, Costumes, and Cinematography nods are deserved (along with the sound categories). It won't get a VFX because the CGI was limited and immersive, not showy. But it was "real" movie good...not just "blockbuster" good. That said, it's still Batman ;)

Correct. My initial fear was that BBM would win because of a perceived issue vote. Once seen, that is not a factor. The film will win on merit, as it should be.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I would disagree with you there. I thought Christian Bale and Michael Caine gave great performances. I would like to see both get nominations, but it'll snow in hell before that happens. :)

I'm disappointed that Eric Bana isn't getting any recognition for Munich.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks