What's new

Directors Oscar tourney (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
1941 wins Best year

1929 wins Worst year

I can't really agree with either of those outcomes, though they're certainly not horrible.

41 did have a number of great films, but the Oscar is the main thing, and it most definitely did not go to the best film that year. To give it to How Green instead of Citizen Kane, or even Maltese Falcon means this is far from the best year IMO.

And while 29 wasn't a stellar year by any means, it certainly wasn't the worst. The Broadway Melody isn't a great movie, nor are the others, but it's not like there were tons of great movies in 29 that got shafted. 68, just to take one example, was much worse, with a horrible winner, weak nominees, and not even nominations for films like 2001, Rosemary's Baby, Producers, etc., etc.

Not that I thought the outcomes would be ones I'd agree with anyway. And it certainly could have been much worse. :)

Thanks for playing.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
good tourney, i think the best film did win in 41, and 29 hasn't had a single good film from the ones I've seen. Still 41 was a TERRRIFIC year all around for oscar. but the years the academy probably got it most right in awarding the big prize was in honoring Casablanca, Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks