1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar Peterson: Canadian Suite- reference SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Picked this one up recently. It's the great jazz pianist Oscar Peterson performing with an orchestra and jazz band. Musically, it's pretty nice- some tracks are cool swinging bop with a little string accompaniment, and some are heavily orchestrated "classical" sounding. It is from Telarc, whose SACDs I have been enjoying immensely.

In my opinion and that of many others, jazz and classical benefit the most from DSD. Therefore, I submit this title to serve as the best "show off" SACD. For one thing, I believe it is a pure DSD recording. The instrumentation includes lush strings, jazz bass, and of course, piano- all the stuff that audiophiles go ga-ga over.

Anyway, I recommend this titles to everyone and I'm going to start using it to show off SACD and my stereo.

Three cheers for Telarc!
    - Pure DSD recordings.
    - Reasonably priced (Analogue Productions, are you listening?)
    - Hybrids! (Sony, are you listening)

My Telarc titles:

Stereo:
    Oscar Peterson- Canadian Suite
    Oscar Peterson, Milt Jackson, Ray Brown- Very Tall Band
    Dukas- Symphony in C / Sorceror's Apprentice
    Lang Lang- various piano pieces
    Mussourgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition / Night at Bald Mountain

Multi-channel:
    Orff- Carmina Burana
    Mahler- 5th Symphony
    Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique

I'm planning to get the orchestral Beatles disc, Dave Brubeck's 40th Anniversary (which I saw listed at $35 on Best Buy's web site. I e-mailed them about it, assuming it's a mistake, but they're not answering my question.), and a Debussy disc I saw at my local Best Buy.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mike,
    Damn you! Yet another one to purchase.
    You explain this one to the wife! [​IMG]
    The Mahler 5th is superb, by the way. Less excited about the Orff, but I love Telarc all the same. [​IMG]
    Two more pure DSD labels of interest to the HTF:
    1. Channel Classics
    2. San Francisco Symphony
    (yes they are their own label. Currently looking for Mahler #1 since #6 was the best classical release I have heard in years)
    Happy hunting...

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

4. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

I picked up Trail of Dreams a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I checked out Telarc's website and listened to a few tracks before buying it.

This disc is now one of my favorite sacds, the sound quality is top notch. I highly recommend picking this disc up at Best Buy for $15.99, definately worth it.

I'm heading to Thunder Bay, Ontario tomorrow. I think I'm going to make sure this disc is playing as I cross the border, just cause it's a Canadian Suite!

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mike,

I purchased this and really like it. It still is slightly beat by the sonics on the APOs, however.

Great recommendation. Thanks!