What's new

Oscar Opening Short Film (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the little "Movies" short film they used at the opening of the Oscar ceremony (the one with different people talking about movies on the white background).

I wondered if anyone knew any more info on this little piece-- who made it, who were some of the people in it (I noticed Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Laura Bush and I swear to god Jello Biafra)-- and is it available for sale anywhere?

Thanks Guys

Vince

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
They said it was done by the documentary filmmaker who did the excellent "Thin Blue Line," Errol Morris. Don't know if it's for sale.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Like Chad said, the segment was directed by Errol Morris. Only one of his documentaries is out on DVD right now--Mr. Death--but if you can, try to locate his other documentaries (Gates of Heaven, Vernon, Florida, A Brief History of Time, Fast, Cheap & Out of Control and the aforementioned TTBL) on video; they're all well worth your time.
Unless some "best of Oscar" DVD is released soon, I doubt this will be available for sale. You could always mail the official Academy Awards site and find out what they have to say.
BTW, Morris filmed the segment using a camera called the "Interrotron"...I believe Morris designed it himself. It allows the director to interview his/her subjects without actually being in the same room. Morris' later works (Fast, Cheap and Mr. Death) make extensive use of this technique.
EDIT
Here's a complete listing of all the people seen in the film (from the official Oscar site):
http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/opening_film.html

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I had no idea that was Morris- further proving he's an absolute genius! I already have Mr. Death, and have VHS copies of Veron FL and Gates of Heaven. I guess I shouldn't be suprised.
Wonder when we'll get more of his stuff on DVD.
Thanks Guys
-V
PS: I checked that list, i KNEW I saw Jello Biafra in there! LOL

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Yup it was Morris. Since they're obviously never going to give him an Oscar I guess it was nice of the academy to include him in the show :)
- Guy

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Tony Goldmark was the guy near the end who said 'The Holy Grail', he's a Dementia artist (DrDemento plays his stuff) his website is at www.dqydj.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks