What's new

Oscar nominated actress Melinda Dillon dies at 83 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I always enjoyed her performances. She was just great in Close Encounters and even better in Absence of Malice - both of which she was nominated for an Oscar for. And, of course, A Christmas Story, which is as beloved as they come these days.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I’ve loved her in every role I’ve seen. The one that’s indelibly seared into my soul is that of the tragic character around whom revolved Absence of Malice.

A role so central to this story had to be performed so true for the reactions of all other players to work and make dramatic sense. It was a monumental turn.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Like anyone my age, I best remember her as the mom in A Christmas Story but as Thomas said, she's fantastic in Close Encounters. She also was good in Magnolia as Phillip Baker Hall's wife.
Thanks Travis. I’ve not seen Magnolia yet, but shall pick it up to honour her memory.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Sad news. Another role she played was Savannah Wingo in The Prince Of Tides.
A Christmas Story is one of my all time favorite films. RIP, Melinda. 🙁

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Close Encouters of the Third Kind wouldn't be my all time favorite movie if not for her. A Christmas Story wouldn't be magical if not for her. She even brought obscure little films like The Juggler Of Norte Dame to life.

What a screen presence.

R.I.P.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
RIP MELINDA DILLON. Two iconic roles and much good work around them. Her Oscar nominated role as Jillian in Spielberg's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3RD KIND was soulful and warm. It was a great counterpart to Richard Dreyfuss' nervous energy. And, her “You'll shoot your eye out!” Mom in A CHRISTMAS STORY is so kooky, yet loving. The scene where she makes Ralphie try on his Aunt's hideous PJ's is so adorably mischievous.

Dillon had a long career spanning from the stage to SLAP SHOT, BOUND FOR GLORY to HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS to P.T. Anderson's ensemble in MAGNOLIA -- and, quite a bit of TV as well. Her other Oscar nominated turn was as Teresa, a tragic character caught in the crossfire in ABSCENCE OF MALICE. Heartbreaking.

Dillon always brought a sense of caring to her roles. Her presence will be missed.

Attachments

• Melinda.jpg
    Melinda.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks