What's new

oscar for best animated feature: joke? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I was quite glad to see this category formed, besides, the short subject animated film has been a category already.
For those worried about the rules, here is a New York Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/21/movies/21BOX.html
If you do not want to check out the link, or that you find registering with the NY Times too much of a hassle, the basic low down is that if there are 8 to 14 films eligable, then there will be three nominees. If there are more than 15, then there will be five. Furthermore, if the committee does not find the qualities of the films to be good enough, they can decide that the award will not be given out, so there is no gurantee that this award will be given out every year.
Of course, this also makes Jason Seaver's pessimistic view more realistic IMHO.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that they should come up with criteria for a film to be a film. Then, which ever film is the best one of the year, that film should win, regardless of whether its a foreign film, animated film, documentary, etc.

To tell the truth, I could care less what the Academy does. I would rather go into this forum and ask people which films are good then base my decisions on which films to watch than base it around an award that only a few films get each year.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
The measure of which I care about what the Academy does/changes/nominates/declares about movies is approximate to the measure of which I care about what Richard Simmons has to say about health. The entire process is so flawed, corrupt, and inconsequential that I even regret expending the energy to type these words.

Jon

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The measure of which I care about what the Academy does/changes/nominates/declares about movies is approximate to the measure of which I care about what Richard Simmons has to say about health. The entire process is so flawed, corrupt, and inconsequential that I even regret expending the energy to type these words.
Well, they're better than the grammys.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The animated characters part raises an interesting question, though.. a film like Roger Rabbit would have been eligible in this category, I believe.

(Then again, so would the putrid "Cool World")

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Michael, but they ARE shown on screen as animated figures, right? I think that should be enough. Otherwise, anything that's done with for example motion capture might as well be disqualified too.
Yes, they are shown as animated figures. It all depends on how the judges interpret the rules. From what I know of the process used to create Waking Life, the analogy to rotoscoping isn't perfect, but maybe it will be close enough for the film to qualify.
Of course, even if it qualifies, the film still might not make the cut. Anyone who's read my review knows where I stand on that point. ;)
Just as an aside, did you ever wonder why so many people feel compelled to participate in threads about the Academy Awards just so that they can announce how little the awards mean to them? If the AAs are of so little interest, why are they even bothering to read the thread? :rolleyes:
M.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Waking Life would be up for an award in this category. It has real actors being covered up with animation, but the characters themselves are not actually created by an artist, but rather overlayed by one. Plus, if it was up for animated film, would the actors be up for awards for acting, even though animated films only have voice-overs?

Its a situation like this that would put Waking Life into either a category that has yet to be made or with live action films. I personally don't think it should count as animated.

BTW, what films will get nominated? Shrek, Final Fantasy, and maybe Atlantis? Then again, Shrek was just popular, FF was not, and Atlantis sucked.

They should have created this category back in the early 90s when animated films were good more often.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'd guess Monsters, Inc, Shrek, and Final Fantasy. Atlantis was too cookie cutter. Unless something foriegn is nominated, like Miazyaki's new one, Spirited Away, which is supposed to be excellent.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Its a situation like this that would put Waking Life into either a category that has yet to be made or with live action films. I personally don't think it should count as animated.
BTW, what films will get nominated? Shrek, Final Fantasy, and maybe Atlantis?
If Final Fantasy's motion-captured actors are good enough, so are Waking Life rotoscoped ones. :)
I'm guessing Shrek, Waking Life, and Monsters Inc., but to be honest, that's just a pie-in-the-sky guess. We've got no idea how the nominators will go, what with the sample size of zero and all.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I think the Animated Film Oscar is a great idea. Seems kinda weird when Beauty and the Beast is up for Best Picture against Silence of the Lambs.
Animation is not a "genre".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks