oscar for best animated feature: joke?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricW, Nov 21, 2001.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

so how does an Oscar(TM) for best animated feature sound? isn't that a bit ridiculous? i mean how many animated features are released every year? like ten? how easy would it be to get nominated?

2. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I don't consider it a joke. This is a category that has been neglected. They've only ever nominated one film, and that was Beauty and the Beast. I'm not saying any others should have. But the Academy won't nominate an animated movie, and they certainly won't vote it to win even if it's better than the other live action films. So I think it's a good new category. It's not perfect, but it's a start. However, if you look around the world, you can probably come up with 5 good ones to nominate.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It doesn't sound ridiculous to me, but as Hubert mentioned, it obviously sounds ridiculous to the voters, which is why animated features rarely get any respect. What I really wish they'd do though, is have separate ones for drama and comedy, because great comedies can rarely beat out dramas, even when the comedies are superior. Another voter bias.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I doubt there will be five nominees...probably three a year. I think the Oscars are about backpatting and egos, so it'll be nice to reward some creative minds in the trenches. Can you imagine an Oscar voter ever voting for something that didn't involve actors and directors in the historic sense? I care as much as I do about anything the Academy does [​IMG]
    That being said, I like a greater PERCENTAGE of animated movies than "traditional"...
    Take care,
    Chuck

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

If they include anime then they would surely have enough nominees each year. If they had this category a few years back then Princess Mononoke or the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs would have surely won.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Yes, remember these films still have to have an LA theatrical qualifying run. I don't think you're going to see a lot of Anime nominees.
    Also I believe there has to be at least 7 qualifying films for them to give out an award.
    I wonder if Waking Life will fall into this animated category?

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I wonder if releasing an animated film doemstically like Mononoke years after its release in Japan would make it eligible for this category.

Nonetheless, it won't marginalize the films. There is animated and live-action. Then there are different types, like documentaries, fiction, non-fiction, foreign, etc. Then there are things like songs and soundtracks and makeup and wardrobe. Plus the ton of other things given out before the show. I think its fine the way it is.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Morgan, this may be your most incoherent post yet.

12. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

It is ridiculous. A good film is a good film and should be put in the same category of all films. I even find the foreing language category idiotic for these same reasons.

The Golden Globes are even worse with their best "comedy or musical" categories.

If a film is truly good then it should not matter what the format or genre is.

Just watch, this is going to turn into the "Best Disney and Dreamworks" category.

I'm not even sure why I care. I haven't watched the oscars in years.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Mononoke was submitted for 1997 Best Foreign Film, and was therefore ineligeable for submission in 1999 for it's domestic release. When Disney or Dreamworks issues Spirited Away, it might have a chance. From what I'm told, pretty much the entire animation community in LA worships Miyazaki-sensei, especially since Mononoke, and it's quite possible, considering they would be doing the voting, that he could, MAYBE win

Jeff Kleist

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

He could get nominated - the "animation community" would do the winnowing from all-to-three-or-five, but the entire Academy membership would do the final vote.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Michael, but they ARE shown on screen as animated figures, right? I think that should be enough. Otherwise, anything that's done with for example motion capture might as well be disqualified too.

/Mike

19. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

The process of drawing over live figures for animation is called rotoscoping. It's been done for many many years now, in many "traditional" animated features. So I don't think they'd disqualify Waking Life because of rotoscoping.

20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

At first I thought that an animation Oscar was a good idea but the more I think about it, the less I like the idea of a seperate category. The Academy Awards have a category called "Best Picture", not "Best live action Picture". A film should be judged on the merits of its story and the execution of such, not the medium in it which it is made. "Beauty and The Beast" was nominated and if it was the "Best Picture" out of the group, then it should have won, being animated should not have counted as a black mark against it.

Personally, I could suspend my disbelief about a Lion, in the "Lion King", trying to usurp his brothers kingdom and trying to kill his brother's heir more than I could for a mentally deficient human becoming a football hero, a decorated war hero and a millionaire shrimp czar. C'mon which is the bigger fairy tale here in terms of movie logic, yet "Gump" gets the nomination for and wins "Best Picture" and "Lion King" gets what..."Best Music". I am not saying that "Lion King" should have been nominated and won but as far as I'm concerned it was more believable than "Forrest Gump", considering that both of these films are essentially fantasies.

The Academy Awards are biased crap and that is why I don't take any award they hand out as any indication that the most deserving film won.

All of the above IMO.