What's new

Oscar discussion (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just to continue the nitpicking at Scott... ;)
There will only be three nominees for Best Animated Feature (same goes for Makeup, Visual Effects, & Sound Effects Editing).
Amores Perros was nominated for Best Foreign Film last year.
There can only be one film from any given country nominated for Best Foreign Film (that film is submitted by the country), so only one of Amelie or Brotherhood of the Wolf (both from France) will be nominated.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
There can only be one film from any given country nominated for Best Foreign Film (that film is submitted by the country), so only one of Amelie or Brotherhood of the Wolf (both from France) will be nominated.
Well, I was the one who was wondering about this in the other Oscar thread. Now it's got me thinking again...
Based on all the acclaim it's been receiving, does anybody else feel France will push Amelie for Best Picture while trying to get Brotherhood nominated for Best Foreign Film? Or will they play it safe a la Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon last year and push one film (likely Amelie) for both categories?
Part of me feels they'll do this, but another, more logical, part feels they'll put Amelie in for both categories.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
So which end-of-the-year-release, horribly mediocre film will Miramax buy a Best Picture nom for this year? The Shipping News? Kate and Leopold?
Neither. Miramax, despite their numerous faults, are very shrewd. They're not going to ignore all the acclaim In the Bedroom is getting, so they're going to rev up the publicity machine for that film and basically give The Shipping News the shaft.
On the subject of Lord of the Rings: technical nominations are a given (and most likely a screenplay nod). But for "heavier" awards like acting and Best Picture, I doubt it will happen.
While I liked the film a lot (it's in my Top Ten), it feels (for lack of a better word)...underwhelming. I mean that the film feels like a three-hour journey to a big anti-climax. And yes, I am fully aware that Jackson stopped the film at a logical point, but that may be lost on voters who aren't familiar with the books.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'd rather see Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore or John Williams win.
Well, so would I, actually, but it's still Horner's best in years. ;)
My picks for best score (in order):
  • Howard Shore, The Fellowship Of The Rings
  • Yann Tiersen, Amelie
  • John Williams, A.I. (and most decidely NOT Harry Potter)
  • Ed Shearmer, K-Pax
  • James Horner, A Beautiful Mind
With Mark Mothersbaugh's music for The Royal Tenenbaums as a wild card.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Tony Shalhoub
The lawyer in Man Who...

Excellent call dude. I was thinking Best Supporting even as I was watching him. He was given the meatiest, flashiest role in this great film and he ran like Carl Lewis with it.

I could see it slipping by, but if he shows up on the list I would not be surprised (and I'd be rather happy actually).

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Scott, add me to the list of people who assume you loved Amores Perros so much you are granting it a 2nd chance at Best Foreign. :laugh:
"We keep it in there till it gets the job done." :)
Also, as I read it The Gleaners and I is your front runner documentary this year.

Lin Weiwen

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
"I'm not sure if he's in the next 2 films in the series, but what if he won for 3 years in a row?"
To answer Morgan's question, Gandalf will be back according to my brother who is currently reading the book. 3 wins in a row? That would be great but I don't think anyone can get that lucky.
:D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
One person whom I'd love to see get a nomination but probably won't is Jamie Foxx in Ali. Will Smith and Jon Voight turn in great performances but Foxx stole the film with his portrayel of Drew 'Bundini' Brown. I know he probably isn't even on the Oscar's radar because of his earlier comedy films, but the guy has shown he is very talented and can hold his own in any cast. He just seems to get better and better each time out.
Bruce

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
LOTR - Merits an oscar nod for the sheer attempt and the cinematics. (Wonderfully filmed and admirably brings out the essense of the novel onto the big screen) I don't believe it will win because of certain key elements missing from it as a film

Moulin Rouge - boldness, creativity, excellent performances, ingenuity in storytelling.

A.I. - maybe for lack of suitable competition

I can't comment on Mullholland Drive, but I feel that there is a void in the lineup that this film fills.

I enjoyed A Beautiful Mind, but think that the film didn't do enough to bring the audience into Nash's condition. While excellent on most counts, I believe that it could have been an even more powerful film. I was reminded of Mr. Holland's Opus when I finished watching this film, and that is probably the reason why I don't think the academy will go for it.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
I felt that A BEAUTIFUL MIND was a "safe" movie. It felt like a telefilm made for Lifetime or something. The performances were strong, but the direction was lackluster, IMHO.

I think it could have been MUCH more powerful had they decided to stick to actual fact. For example, Nash today doesn't do complex reasoning anymore -- that's one of the side effects of his efforts to control his condition. Given that he LOVED higher mathematics, that's a powerful price to pay, and would make the ending all the more poignant.

I'm actually fairly surprised to see this film turning up on so many Best Picture lists. Aside from the performances, I really didn't see anything that special.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Scott Weinberg just created a new thread for Oscar Predictions. While I'm sure he didn't realize (or forgot) this thread existed, I think that, seeing as this thread has had a lot more than just predictions, and a lot of it has gone on far before the Golden Globes were over (which I think are the last major awards before the Oscars), perhapse we should post our predictions there instead of here, if only to consolidate everything.
Just my 2c.

David Oliver

Second Unit
I want to bring up Black Hawk Down, not necessarily in the major categories, but in the technical. Everyone seems to be conceding technical awards to LOTR, but the battle sequences in BHD are superior to anything in LOTR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks