Oscar '71: What does "Best Picture" mean?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Miles, Oct 12, 2001.

1. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Did you purposely exclude Norman Jewison's Fiddler On The Roof in your comments as the fourth nominated film (with Nicholas and Alexandra as the fifth)? [​IMG]
    I was just on my way to the AFI thread to post my thoughts on The French Connection having finally seen it on DVD. While I don't share your views about TFC, I would also rank The Last Picture Show ahead of TFC for the reasons I already noted in the thread you linked.
    Unfortunately, I can't rank all five nominated films as I have not seen NAA and I need to revisit A Clockwork Orange again. But definitely a tough year as I found Fiddler On The Roof to be one of the better musicals ever made.
    ~Edwin
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on October 12, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

3. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Did you purposely exclude Norman Jewison's Fiddler On The Roof in your comments as the fourth nominated film (with Nicholas and Alexandra as the fifth)?
    Yes. I felt I was being inflammatory enough already, without arguing for or against films I hadn't seen. [​IMG]

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Yeah, but how can you argue that since a film has been copied or outdone that it's no loner valid? It did come first.
    Also, the thing to remember about the Academy Award is that it's for Best Picture of the Year. Not picture most likely to become a classic, not film most likely to stand the test of time, nor film that will never become outdated.
    Best Picture of the year reflects the time for which the voting took place. It's what at that time was considered to be the most outstanding achievement of and for that year.

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    And let's not forget another great film from 71- Walkabout

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

7. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

While I do agree that The Last Picture Show is a better film and, by definition, would have been a better choice by the Academy, I think The French Connection has held up extremely well.
    As far as film "outdoing" it since then, I think one could debate that. The difference between TFC and your modern garden variety police thriller (and even some of the good ones) is the difference between the original Gone in 60 Seconds and the remake. The remake is slicker to be sure, but soulless.
    ------------------
    Do you like SCARY MOVIES?
    Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12, 11, 10 9 to go!

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

9. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I just watched TFC and I absolutely loved it. It's just a gritty crime picture, great characters.
    As to the comparison to other films that have been mentioned, I've only seen ACO, and I think it compares well with that film.
    ------------------
    Joe Dahlen
    "Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I agree with many of Johns comments regarding The French Connection. While I did enjoy the movie as a whole, I didn't feel that it was a movie worthy of receiving an Oscar for best picture.
    Other peoples comments regarding the influence this movie had when released is valid, and could certainly have a lot to do with an Academy Award win. That being said, I still do not believe that the movie has held up particularly well. My wife fell asleep about an hour into the movie!

11. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor