Osbournes Season one impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek U, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

What does everyone think of this set? I got mine from DVD Empire Wednesday, and I must say I love it! Here are a couple things I noticed:

Certain songs used in the series were changed (probably due to legal stuff)
    The commentary track with the "Osbourne family" is really only Sharon & Jack and exists on all eps but the last one.

I found the interviews and bonus footage (as well as the commentary) to be a mixed bag. It ranged from absolutely hysterical to forgettable. Despite a few qualms, I am so happy to have this amazing show on DVD!

Derek

2. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I'm watching these on a 53" Pioneer 533 RPTV. I was a bit surprised that the video wasn't a little smoother looking. I wonder if compressing 9 episodes on one disc hurt it?

The thing I really noticed is that on my set, the first episode looked MUCH worse than the others. Terrible ringing and lack of detail abounded. I was horrified at first, but then discovered that the other episodes were better.

Didn't anyone else notice this?

3. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

I also thought the first episode looked awful, and that was just on my 36" Toshiba. Didn't look at any of the others but glad to hear they look better!

4. Jeff Howard

Jeff Howard Agent

I thought it was announced that there was going to be 4 new episodes on the dvd which had never aired..or am i mistaken?

5. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

6. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

Initially, the press releases and TV spots advertised 4 new eps! Perhaps, Miramax was saying that all the deleted stuff equalled 4 eps. I was a little disappointed by the ommision.

Derek

7. FredCampbell

FredCampbell Agent

I don't much see the point of having a CENSORED and an UNCESNORED version of this set when the UNCESNSORED version offers language censoring as one of its features. What's the difference between the censored and uncensored versions, anyway?

Besides all that, I enjoyed this set very much.

8. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

The censored version satisfies the family oriented freaks at Walmart. I mistakenly purchased mine there, and had to battle with them to return it afterwards. Who the hell wants a censored Ozzy. For F#!# sakes, he's the Prince of F#!#ing Darkness! The 'censored' indicator shows up in tiny little writing on the left hand corner (totally obscured when in the standup display), while the uncensored version (which I later bought at another store) has a huge blurb on the front of the box -Explicit, Uncut, Unedited ,ooooooh the sin of it all, the nasty dirty sin!

Marc.

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

10. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Yes, but the uncensored version actually gives you a choice to watch with or without bleeps, and doesn't force you to watch it the way the (Walmart)censors want you to.

Macr.

11. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

Found this at a Pawn Shop already, selling for $8.00 uncensored version. Haven't seen it yet, but will keep it handy for future insomniac nights.

12. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I've dismissed the show during its TV run but 2 loaded discs for $14 shipped, I couldn't pass, and I've absolutely loved it! It's like my family, only we have less money and half the people died already, but used to be something like that, therefore extremely funny to me, I was brought up similarly. "Look at me now." :b

The episodes about the neighbors and the final one were the best, I haven't listened to the commentaries yet but that 5 min blooper reel was probably the best. The 10 episodes are only about 3 hours 20 mins total, but the cameras were there for days and weeks and months so there's bound to be a lot of interesting stuff that didn't make it into the episodes, I'm looking forward to the 40 min interviews and who knows how long of deleted scenes.

Image quality is the worst I've ever seen on a DVD, my encodes off TV look better, maybe Scarface DVD is the only one that looks worse. There is so much pixelation. First disc doesn't have that much, 3 hours of video with 3 2.0 audio tracks, many discs have the same or more and look way better, I don't know what happened there.

13. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

Anyone else notice changes to some lines? Like how they changed it so Jack no longer sings "Who Let the Dogs Out" in "Bark at the Moon" (I'm guessing a rights thing)? And in another episode my gf swears a line was cut out.