What's new

Osbournes Season 1 Uncensored - gives you choice of censored/uncensored soundtrack (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
When it was first announced BVHE was releasing Osbournes season 1 in separate censored and uncensored versions, many people (myself included) weren't too happy with that news because we wanted the option of which way to listen to it (without having to buy both sets). Well, DVDFile posted their review of the set this morning, and in their discussion of the set's supplements, they state:
Also, check the packaging before you buy, as there are two versions of this DVD set available. On the uncensored version, every episode comes with the opportunity to listen to the show censored or uncensored, which is honestly a nice choice. The uncensored turns "F***k!" into "Fuck!", bit I found myself laughing harder when the expletive "beep" would be constantly rattling through my speakers. Still, it's nice to have the choice.
Definitely nice to have the choice. Thanks BVHE. That should make the decision of which set to buy easier - the uncensored. :) March 4 can't come soon enough.

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
I found this out last night and was sooooooooooo happy!!!! With the problem of deciding betweenn sets eliminated, I quickly placed my order at DVD Empire. 18 days seems like an eternity.

Derek

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Having only seen the show uncensored on CTV here in Canada, I'm curious to see this show with the expletives deleted.

I can't imagine that the conversation about how Kelly's sister booked her for a gynecologist apointment without telling her would make any sense at all.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I find it funnier with censoring. You do miss a few words like the nickname for one of Kelly's boyfriends. What was that anyway?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I agree that the censored version is a better choice. I found the uncensored a chore to watch. You can have too much bad language, it seems!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I don't see what is charming about censorship. It's not like it's an artistic decision, it was done soley for MTV as it aired everywhere else unaltered. I don't hear anyone asking for bleeped tracks on standup comedy from Robin Williams or George Carlin!

How about a bleeped version of Al Pacino's Scarface???? Yeah, I'd buy that!

Aaron, you're right...many times the bleeps are so intrusive that you can barely follow the conversation. You're lucky to live in Canada which isn't as restrained when it comes to language.

Jeff

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It's not really censorship, considering most of the time you know what they're saying.

There are only a few words you can't say on TV in America at all (it's a social thing, not a government thing). Ironically, they've been said mostly on network television. Basic cable stations (like MTV) don't put curses in their shows, even though they're allowed to.

And MTV is the company who made the show, so if they air the show on their network in their native county with bleeps, I consider it to be fine. Especially when the amount of bleeps used in the show is part of the comedy.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
Nice.

Nothing was funnier than watching Mallrat's on the USA network (I think, or maybe it was TNN or something) a couple of weeks ago.

Jay's voice dubbed over %90 of the time by someone else.. heheh.. funny stuff.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think the bleeps are funny in the way that the bleeps are in funny in South Park.

But I will definately buy the uncensored to get the option. :) Cool news!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's not really censorship, considering most of the time you know what they're saying.
OK, so I take it you would prefer to watch Robin Williams Live On Broadway or Richard Pryor Live On The Sunset Strip with bleeps too? After all, you'd probably know what they were saying most of the time. I don't see why it's considered charming on The Osbournes yet I'll bet none of you would watch anything else bleeped.

Jeff

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why it's considered charming on The Osbournes yet I'll bet none of you would watch anything else bleeped
It depends. If Robin Williams wants the DVD of his HBO special to be bleeped (BTW, nothing on HBO is censored or bleeped, so it would make sense if none of their specials on DVD were), then I'd be against it but accept it because it's his choice to make. For The Osbournes, they essentially had to bleep the episodes for TV. Since they did it that way, they're offerring people the option to keep it that way on DVD or get the swears put in. If it was something like a regular movie or something aired on TV that didn't have bleeps the original time it was aired, I'd find it to be a stupid move.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Why are they putting out a separate censored version anyway? Makes about as much sense as the 4 versions of American Pie II.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jesse, it's Disney. They probably think families with small kids sit around the TV everyday watching the Osbournes. They wouldn't like the uncensored version. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Uh, so if they don't wanna hear the bad language, why can't they just select the censored track instead of buying a separate disc that doesn't have the uncensored track? I don't get it.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Uh, so if they don't wanna hear the bad language, why can't they just select the censored track instead of buying a separate disc that doesn't have the uncensored track? I don't get it.
Because some people only know how to press enter on Play. They don't know how to navigate the menus and change audio tracks.
My parents are like that. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
With Soth Park, the episode "It Hits the Fan" wouldn't make sense without bleeps. And the bleeps there wouldn't make sense unless the other episodes had them. So South park has to be censored.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Those are different. They were done as live performances, so you shouldn't alter them. For The Osbournes and South Park, they're done as TV shows, so they're treated differently.
But, um, Osbournes isn't a "scripted, rehearsed TV show". It's a "reality show".

The point of the show is to look in on how this family lives and act. Censoring what they do and say is kind of getting in the way of that, doncha think?

I guess it all depends on how you get your jollies...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Possible just a personal preference, but I find it hilarious when a character goes on a long diatribe that ends up being 1 big 30 second bleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks