What's new

OS X Jaguar: iCal DVD subscription (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
How do you find what you can subscribe to? I doubt I'll use it much because I have a Handspring Treo 300 that is my calander/contact manager.
Well,
1)Apple stated iSync will work with Palms
2)Treo 300 and 90 already work with OS X and Palm Desktop thanks to "MissingSync" software by http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html
3)iCal, iPod, Address Book, Mail (Conduit for Palm avail), and other apps could very well sync everything including a far more complete DVD release list.
I own the Treo 90 and it works perfectly in X.2. Treo Central reports confirm that the software works with the 300 as well. The dev. also wrote this in the recent email to customers as being in the works.
"An upcoming version of Missing Sync for devices from Palm (m and i series) and Handspring (Treo 90/180/270/300)." My assumption is that the current "Clie" features that involve iTunes with MissingSync don't work with non-Sony Clie palm devices but I never tried it.
Now, you can tell iTunes what to do based on your iCal. Hopefully, they will speed up iCal by version 1.2. Not a bad start for a promising app.
Link Removed

ErichH

Screenwriter
Mac People - I Had no idea you were here!
I boot 9 just to run DVD Profiler2 (In VPC5)
Too slow in X.

I've always been amazed that there's no DVD app for Macs.
Somebodys gonna do well with the Code if he's first.

Eric

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I've got to agree with (what seems to be) the majority of opinions on ReaderWareVW. It just doesn't stack up that well against DVD Profiler. I REALLY wish it did.

I'm getting ready to buy VPC5 and run it on my 867 Mhz G4. Just got a USB Cuecat as well ($5 off eBay). May have to look at running it under Classic if OSX is too slow.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I've got to agree with (what seems to be) the majority of opinions on ReaderWareVW. It just doesn't stack up that well against DVD Profiler. I REALLY wish it did.
Can someone run through what the differences are? I'm not at all a PC user, so I have never played with Profiler.

The main complaint about ReaderWare (which I agree with) is that it is written in Java and Java is slow. But, I can't imagine that running Profiler under VPC is going to be faster or nicer in terms of user interface.

The main advantage of ReaderWare over Profiler is that it will do books and CDs as well, which for me is vitally important. I realize that many of you may not care about that.

Ted

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Ted-
I just made the same decision you were asking about (iMac vs. PowerMac) and went with the 867DP and 17" flat-panel display. I upgraded to an 80GB HD and DVD-R. It's the more expensive route, but with video editing being my focus, the expandability of the tower is just too great a feature when compared to the iMac.
Chris-
To convert anamorphic to letterbox in Final Cut Pro I do this: create a new sequence that is not 16:9 anamorphic, then drag your 16:9 sequence from the Browser into the new non-anamorphic sequence's Timeline. You will have to render the new sequence at this point. If this doesn't work, open FCP's Help and search for 'Exporting anamorphic video to tape.' Tip: if you haven't discovered it already, go to Window->Arrange->Standard 16:9 when editing anamorphic material to optimize window space.
Patrick-
Thanks for the iCal link, now I might acutally use the app.
Anyone using iChat? I honestly don't know any AOL users but I'd certainly be happy to set something up with fellow Mac/HTF enthusiasts. My email is [email protected] if interested.
Pieter

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so Apple keeps coming out with things to make me (a Windows user) jealous!

At work we do have an iMac and I was playing with iCal. I like it. I see on the Apple website you can subscribe to a calendar of DVD releases.

Does anyone know of anything like this that I can download into Outlook?

Thanks.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Jaguar 10.2.1 update which has been out via Software Update for a couple of days fixes the 10.2 problems with Toast for those of you who care. I successfully burned some disks to my SCSI CD-R drive after upgrading.

Ted

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
can mail be networked, as in I'd like to access my mail from any terminal but have all folders in one spot.
Mail.app is IMAP capable, so if your server has this protocol, then you're set. All your mail will remain on the server, and you can access it from anywhere.
Steve, I see you still have your PowerMac from the PowerMac Resource days. ;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Steve, I see you still have your PowerMac from the PowerMac Resource days. ;)
I even got it to boot from its original 500 meg drive that had last been used in 1998. The heads were stuck, so I had to use brute force to unstick them. (I literally smashed the drive on the table. Considering that the alternative was pitching the drive in the trash, I was pleased.)
My PowerBook (Lombard) is undergoing a tier 1 repair after the LCD started fritzing out. It was a close call on having it repaired... Lombards don't support DVD playback under 10, but it will work with iTunes, so that will be the iTunes client that I hook into the stereo upstairs.
Macs rule!
- Steve

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
For those complaining about not being able to use their CD recorders with Jaguar, I may have good news for you.
I have a couple of years old G4 dual 450 with a SCSI card, and my external Lacie/Yamaha works just fine with the latest Toast Titanium, 5.1.4.
If you are using a SCSI external CD recorder, maybe you just need to update the drivers for your SCSI card. Mine is Adaptec 2906, and the drivers got updated not long ago.
As for Toast not recognizing the recorder, and provided you have the latest version, 5.1.4, there is a few things you can try.
First of all, there's already an update for MacOS X 10.2.1.
In addition to this, Apple has released a patch named "DiscRecordingUpdate.dmg".
And if all this fails and you are using a SCSI device, try also what seems to be a third party patch –or maybe it's official, I'm not sure– "SCSI_CDR_Fix.pkg".
The 10.2.1 update is available at Apple website, along with the "DiscRecordingUpdate.dmg". But since both patches are quite small-sized, I can send them to anybody interested in getting them.
I am not sure is my e-mail address is in my profile, so here it goes:
[email protected]
Wish you luck!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks