OS X Jaguar: iCal DVD subscription

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yumbo, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

If anyone here uses Apple's 10.2, have you downloaded iCal, and subscribed to DVDs?

It's an app which lists upcoming DVD releases automatically.

Anyone play around with it?

ps. anyone got Filemaker 6 yet - is it faster on OS X, than 5.5 in classic?

cheers.

2. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

I have, iCal is a pretty cool little app. You can schedual the subscribed calendar to update however fequently you want, I set mine to weekely. That way it will tell me what DVD's are being released month's ahead. It only lists the major ones though, like 5 or 6. I like it though, you can also publish the calendar online so you can view any of your calendars when you are away from your computer.

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Holly sh-t! I have Jaguar, but I've paid no attention to iCal, 'cause I've never used a datebook be it pen & paper or computer -- it all just stays in my head.

But that is the coolest f--king thing!!! I can't wait to try it -- plus you can publish your iCal entries on the Web and thus be able to access your schedule remotely...

OS X 10.2 really rocks -- if only Roxio would get their pathetic act together and fix Toast -- I have to boot into 10.1.5 to burn CDs...

Ted

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

use iTunes to burn CDs.

anyone burn DVDs yet?

5. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

Yup, I have a DVD burner. Made a couple home movies and can watch them on the home theater. OSX rocks.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

iMovie or Final Cut?

iDVD or DVD Studio Pro?
    16x9?

basic tips and tricks?

I have the iMac 800.

THANKS!

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

8. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

I just use iDVD. Tried an early version of DVD studio, but was more than I wanted to do. iDVD simply uses pre-edited movies (iMovie) to arrange in iDVD. 16x9, anamorphic is a bit beyond the capacities of iMovie/iDVD. To do that you will need the professional suite DVD studio pro/Final Cut. DVD Studio Pro will also allow you to do chapters (iDVD won't), and Final cut will even do Film transfer (3:2 encoding and such). I have no need for the high end stuff, so I use the supplied software Apple gives for free, which works great for me!

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

dude,
    prime app = dual G4, screen size.
    end of story, unless end of money.[​IMG]
    the quiet is relative, the swivel is if you keep moving.

10. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

ya ya,

but I have 16x9 footage, and I would like to use chaptering.

shoot me, but does anyone know how to convert to non-anamorphic letterbox?

and not to thread fart - does iCal have to be open to receive (DVD) subscription updates?

11. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

Ted,
    It really depends on how much screen real-estate and hard drive space you need. If you plan on doing a lot of video editing I would go with the G4 tower and cinema display, a lot more screen to work with. Also, Video uses "a lot" of hard drive space so you may need to add additional storage as well. Burning DVD's is also CPU intensive as it needs to encode to MPEG 2 before it burns it. If you are a serious video editor and need to ability to upgrade in the future, go with the tower. However, if you plan on editing/burning every once in a while, I would go with the iMac 17".

12. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

Yes iCal needs to be open to synchronize it's calendars.

13. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

you know what...is it possible to have a Mac forum started here at HTF?

ps. does HTPC exist in the Mac domain?

how many members fit this profile:

DVD lover - duh
    Mac lover - helloooo?
    Score lover - anyfour?

smiles.

14. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Miss Kubelik and Mister Baxter, my two Macs, would be very pleased if there were a Mac forum here at HTF.
    I'm planning to descend into the furry goodness of Jaguar in the next month or so on Miss Kubelik, but Mister Baxter is staying sullenly behind in OS 9.1 land until Epson get off their butts and supply a fully functional OS X driver for my Stylus Pro 7500. He's a little sad about it, but he also realized that he does all the work around here. [​IMG]

15. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Ted -- I have the same dilemma. I was ready to go for a 17" iMac until the new G4's were announced. I already have a monitor I could use so the G4 is way more bang for your buck. Dual G4's vs a single 800MHz processor, higher end video card, spots for 4 internal hard drives (important if you plan on doing a lot of DV editing), the ability to have two optical drives (the Superdrive is slow when burning CDs). Lots of things. And it can be had for $1699... (I have a Powerbook G4 currently and my old 8500)
    As for iCal, I had NO IDEA of this subscription functionality. Awesome. For people like me that don't know, you have to go to the following webpage to subscribe. And they have lots of them - I just loaded the Philadelphia Eagles schedule as well. [​IMG]
    http://www.apple.com/ical/library/

16. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I've been messing with iCal for the past couple of days, and it seems pretty cool. OS 10.2 is awesome.
    Check out my mac.com homepage: http://mattgordon.com
    Next, we need to get DVD Profiler ported over to OS X!
    Readerware is no comparison.

17. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I tried the iCal DVD subscription, and although it was kinda neat, I still prefer my traditional way of watching the release schedule with DVD Empire's preorder calendar, and reading Dave's Weekly Report on the Cupons Forum.

iCal is a pretty neat product though. It still needs some work, but by 2.0, it should be pretty great.

18. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I've been entering major releases into my Entourage calendar anyhow. This is a big step for me to rid myself of Microsoft products. Can't make the Mail switch though.

19. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I've been using Mail for a while, works for me.

Just recently switched over to Macintosh from the Intel platform, I'm very happy. Wife has an iMac we bought new, and I bought a Powerbook 550Mhz off of Ebay and have been using this as a primary workstation for a month or so now.

How do you find what you can subscribe to? I doubt I'll use it much because I have a Handspring Treo 300 that is my calander/contact manager. The iPod is only used for music right now.

20. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

As for a DVD Profiler port to OS X:

Q:
    Is there a version available for (operating system/platform)?

A:
    At this time, DVD Profiler is Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000 only. DVD Profiler is written in Borland Delphi, and as such is not easy to port to other platforms. However, Borland has demonstrated an interest in porting Delphi to both Linux and Macintosh. When they do, we're on it!

I have looked for alternative software packages for OSX, and there is nothing of quality out there. Only one package exists with online lookup (UPC numbers), but it is a large "pile." DVD Profiler is still the definitive DVD cataloging software.