What's new

Orson Welles CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT new domestic release (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if they were formerly known as that, since Nostalgia is still operating.

Hollywood's Attic I thought is Movies Unlimited. If you notice, the link to buy it on Amazon goes to Movies Unlimited.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If it were any kind of "official" release, the people at wellesnet would be all over it, but no one there is talking about it. Whatever the circumstances, it would be interesting to see what other releases it mirrors. The Spanish Suevia disc which I have disc is only so-so, and the film is presented in non-anamorphic 16:9 widescreen. The French Studio Canal release is anamorphic with better sound and picture quality. I'd spring for the Hollywood's Attic version if I knew it would look and sound as good as the Studio Canal version.

It is looking as if a region one official release is never going to happen.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

Sorry, got the two mixed up -- Nostalgia was formerly Hollywood's Attic (cf. their website).

As for the question of quality, given that they also sell the movie on VHS, I wouldn't be shocked if it's just an old tape master burned onto a DVD-R.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
A bit off topic, but has anyone heard anything about Welles film THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND getting a DVD release?

I saw Gary Graver (Welles longtime cinematographer) at an event a couple years ago where he showed about an hour of it. What I saw was absolutely amazing. Imagine KANE meets Antonioni complete with an NC-17 rated sex scene.

Graver said at the time that all the legal hurdles in completing the film had been just about cleared up, and it would finally be completed and get a release. (The film was partially financed by the Shah of Iran's brother). He passed away a few months after that, so I don't know what is going on with the film.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
According to Peter Bogdanovich, it's just a matter of post-production, and they're trying for a March 2009 release. A few years back I read Betsy Blair's memoir, and she revealed that she was the original Desdemona in Welles' Othello, but after a year of filming she was replaced by Suzanne Cloutier. Since the finished film is on DVD, I'd like to know if any of the Blair footage still exists.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

There was another actress (whose name escapes me-an Italian actress with whom Welles was besotted at one time) used as well. Allegedly, a few long shots consist of different actresses. A shot early on, of Othello and Desdemona cruising in a gondola appears to be someone other than Suzanne Cloutier. The need for the changes, of course, were due to erratic shooting schedules, etc.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That's very good news, Charles. Thank you so much for that link. Interesting website.

I've been wanting to see The Other Side of the Wind forever. I eagerly look forward to a newly released film by Orson Welles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks