What's new

Orson Welles' Chimes At Midnight - any news? (1 Viewer)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
There was talk earlier this year that Miramax was restoring Orson Welles last great film Chimes At Midnight for a DVD release. I'm dying to see this film, and the only release available (DVD or otherwise) is a PAL disc from Spain. I can just see myself getting my DVD player modded to play imports, spending $50+ on the Spanish PAL version, then hearing Miramax announce the release of the newly restored NTSC version.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Criterion are working on a Welles title (finally!) for 2003, but that's all I know. Given that they just licensed Notorious, Rebecca and Spellbound from ABC/Disney (even using the Disney-funded restorations by Scott MacQueen), it's entirely possible that they might have a go at this one too.

I think Miramax/Disney got burned the last time they tried to release a classic art movie (Belle de Jour) and so are handing over the reigns to someone who knows how to do them properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks