Original Ultraman on dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Larry Fletcher, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Does nayone know if this will be coming stateside anytime soon on dvd? I noticed our new reviewer has a dvd label geared toward bringing Japanese tv shows to dvd over here. Stuart, any chance of acquiring the original Ultraman series? [​IMG]

thanks!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Image has it, whether it's full bore or only dubbed and butchered is unknown

3. Larry Fletcher

does the fact that 4kids entertainment has the rights to Ultraman Tiga have any effect on a potential release? Do you think this would have an effect on a potential rival company releasing Ultraman dvds over here?

4. Jeff Kleist

Tiga bombed, so I doubt IMage is rushing to capitalize on it, and isn't Tiga animated? Apples and oranges

5. Larry Fletcher

Jeff, Tiga is live action. Are you sure Image owns the rights to the original Ultraman? I thought I read somewhere that 4kids got the rights once they purchased Ultraman Tiga from Tsburaya.

6. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I'd like both subbed and dubbed on my Ultraman, please [​IMG] !

The subbed would represent the orig. language, but I grew up with the dubbed so I'd like it too.

Boy, I'd buy season sets of this in a NY minute.

7. Jeff Kleist

If 4Kids has it, kiss OSL goodbye forever. They don't even buy the rights to the original Japanese track, and even if they're packaged in, they will leave it out on purpose.

As far as the original UM, no one is going to redub it in this day and age, so it's either going to be butchered or sub-only.

Image got the rights from Turner last I checked, that was awhile ago tho

8. Jim Peavy

Jeff, your colloquialisms are lost on me.

"Butchered"? Do you mean edited or dubbed?

9. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I recall that Image actually announced a DVD (the fist 4 episodes, I believe) of the original 1966 ULTRAMAN series, way back in 1997-1998, but then nothing happened. A tiny american company called, I think, "Emotions In Animation" released these episodes on legit VHS, and was to distribute these on DVD via Image, but then the project must've been scuttled for whatever reason.

10. Larry Fletcher

Actually the original eng. dubbs are quite good. It is some of the best dubbing I have heard for a japanese tv show brought over here. The english dubbed versions would just have to be cleaned up. I do own a couple of volumes of the orignal ultraman on dvd(region 2). These were released about 2 years ago and are Japanese language only. They look great though.

Jim,

If you want some subbed ultraman check out ebay. There are a lot of people selling Ultraman cosmos episodes on dvd subbed.(boots however)(I have been told the quality is actually pretty good ). Cosmos is the newest ultraman series. It came out last year.

You can also find vhs episodes of Ultraman jack (return of ultraman), Ultraman 80, Ultraman Taroh, & Ultraman Ace(epsodes 7-10 are some of the goriest Ultramanscenes ever. Lots of rubber suits being ripped apart ). These are all english dubbed. The only thing is that they were dubbed in Malaysia so the english is a little hard to follow. [​IMG]

11. Larry Fletcher

Peter,

The company was called Expressions in Animation. That tape was great! The quality was awesome! It is a real shame that they only released on volume. You can get this on ebay still.

12. Jim Peavy

I've got this tape. Not too bad. Probably looks better than when I watched 'em back in the late 60's here in Atlanta on a little channel called WTCG channel 17. This was owned by a guy name of Ted Turner. Ever hear of him? [​IMG]

13. Larry Fletcher

The Tiga and Dyna movies are just ok. A little too kiddie for my liking. I too prefer the original series. After the orignal ultraman series came a bunch of other Ultramen series. Each lasting approximately 50 episodes. There is a pretty good sight called Absolute ultraman. Do a search on yahoo for it. It has explanations of all of the series.

14. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

15. Jim Peavy

Thanks, Larry. I'll check it out.

I know there is an "Ultraman Land" themepark in Japan, kinda' like Disneyland only on a somewhat smaller scale. In fact, I've heard some refer to Eiji Tsuburaya as the Walt Disney of Japan because of their similarities.

16. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

Forget Ultraman,what about Spectraman?

17. Jeff Kleist

18. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Are you guys familiar with Kikaida? I spent many a summer in Hawaii growing up and this is an integral part of my memories there. I am not too familiar with Ultraman, but I would guess they would share the same fan base. The first 20 episodes are available in Hawaii...I just picked up from there last week.

19. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

20. Jeff Kleist

Well, frankly if you really love Ultraman that much, the plots aren't what you would call dense [​IMG] So just pick up the region 2 discs. Not only do they each have 1 episode in 5.1 ( a true remix from original stems) but they have this cool mini-series on "How to make your own monster movies". It's REALLY cheesy, but hilarious to watch