Original Twight Zone - shot in video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I've been watching the Twilight Zones on the Sci-Fi channel. I have noticed a few were shot in video of some sort. How many were actually done this way? On any rate, I don't like the "look." I think the film that was used for most of them looked a lot better.

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

If I remember from my Twilight Zone DVD's there were 4 episodes shot that way. They are definitely pretty obvious visually. I also prefer the episodes shot normally.

Kenneth

3. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I have to edit later when I get home and check my Twilight Zone companion but about 1/3 to 1/4 of I believe the third season were shot in video. Like anything else it was a moneysaving gimmic. It only works well with one or two episodes, mostly the character driven stuff...I'll get exact numbers later

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Defintely just 4 episodes.

5. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I think I remember a couple of these. They have the look of some of the live playhouse telecasts of the late 50's. There was a short lived western that shot in the new technology of video tape. It wasn't very good and the look and feel of video tape for a western was not a success.

The appearance of video tape has more to do with the abilities of the camerman and the director. Don Landis over on the AVS forum is a camerman and talks about shooting on HD video tape. He says he can get the look and feel of film if that is what the director is after. I once asked him why the color video tapes of TV shows and news events (the Watergate Hearings etc.) looked so washed out. He said that the tapes will loose the higher frequencies over time and that the cameras of the era were not as good as today. My kids get tired of me telling them that their color tv of today looks awesome compared to the washed out stuff we watched in the late 60's to the 70's.

It's really hard to watch some of the World Series classic games on ESPN and see how washed out everything is and the poor detail.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I believe the shows shot in B&W video were originally one hour programs. I seem tp remember that they have also have been edited down to a half hour for syndication. I remember that one of those shot on video used colorization for portions of the show many years later. It had to do with a museum and doll house if I remember correctly.

7. Larry Geller

8. Peter Kline

Gee, I'm a total fool! You agree that there were one hour episodes. You agree that the one I mentioned was colorized. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.[​IMG]

9. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

11. Ashley Seymour

Joseph,
    Shows like Playhouse 90 were shown live and were basically plays that were televised. Even early video tape gave the feel of a live performance, much as it does today.
    I can't remember the name of the western, but it must have been around 1960. It was rather boring, but it did have a little more action outside. I did look live, but I know that it wasn't because it was touted as being shot on video tape.
    One problem I have noticed with the early video tape is that the music never seemed to be up tempo and there wasn't very much of it. I imagine the western I referred to would have had a different feel it Elmer Bernsteins theme to The Magnaificant Seven was playing in the background.
    The live TV plays rarely had much music owing I think to the timing problem.
    We see kinescopes of shows like The Honeymooners which was originally a segment of The Jackie Gleason Show which was live.
    I've read that Groucho Marx You Bet Your Life was live, but I always remember it on film and not kinescope.

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

13. Russ Lucas

Russ Lucas Stunt Coordinator

A question for the topic starter: one of the reasons I didn't mind downgrading my cable TV package a few months ago was because Sci-Fi was showing almost no TZ episodes except for their annual marathons and a few 5:30 AM showings. Don't tell me they're part of the normal rotation now! When are they on?

14. Peter Kline

Here's an interesting website dedicated to TZ. It even indicates which shows are edited on the Sci-Fi channel... yes the shows have sometimes been edited for syndication.
    http://www.thetzsite.com/

15. Larry Geller

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Larry definitely has a handle on this. Those are the videotape episodes I remember. And I like your synopsis for "Twenty-Two."

17. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I just watched Miniature tonight, it was over 50 minutes in length.

18. Larry Geller

19. Ashley Seymour

Dave H

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Ashley,

Does film offer more resolution or something else, as well?

It seems like it's more that just frames/per second as far as look is concerned.