What's new

Original Trilogy DVD's Delayed -new article (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
the original trilogy will NEVER flow with the new Trilogy. I don't know what Lucas is thinking.

Take a wad of cash from the wallet and release barebones editions until Episode 3 comes out and you again have nothing to do with your time. People WILL buy them again when the SE's come out.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
However, I put in the first tape and it came up with the "commercial" that ran back in the day for this set. The commercial emphasized, time and again, that this IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO OWN THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE TRILOGY.
I remember a similar commercial in the UK. This was a short while before the SEs appeared at the cinema, and everyone I knew was really looking forward to the new versions. We didn't care about losing the OT, 'cause we believed the hype that the SEs would remove problems with the OT (matte lines etc); we were not prepared for the cutting, poor CGI humour, changing of scene intent and ill-chosen reinsertion of new and previously deleted scenes. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
We have to be patiend folks. It's not an easy job to add all that EE to those otherwise pristine transfers ;)

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Lucas is in this bussiness to make money right? Well he is denying a huge amount of money for himself and his company. Why can't Lucas Flim just release the trilogy on DVD barebones? Sure all the extras would be nice, but myself and I'm sure millions of others would be happy to just see the flims the way they were meant to be seen. I wasn't forunate enough to have a LD so I have never been able to view the flims in there orginal OAR. I mean I can go buy the Pan and Scan VHS copies without Lucas's super set that the is planning, so why can't we buy the DVD's in barebones form? Everyone knows that all the Star Wars fans would re-buy them when they came out in 20xx whatever. It just doesn't make sense to me. :thumbsdown:

Andy_S

Second Unit
Maybe by then dual-layered DVD burning will be common-place and we can edit our own versions of the OT to make them as close to the original as possible. I'd definately get rid of that Jabba/Han scene and the whole stupid Solid Gold Dancers scene in ROTJ.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
He also commented on lack of extras for Ep4-6 delaying the DVDs,which also makes me think he's more insane than ever.

Theres plenty of bonus material for the Original Trilogy.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Rick McCallum talked about the SW OT DVDs (and also the AOTC DVD) on Empire Online. Here's an exerpt:
"Three years is a long time, but that’s how long it takes," he said of the delayed transition. But what, you may ask, is taking up the time exactly? Well, never one to do things half-heartedly, Lucas isn’t happy with a DVD of the original edits, nor, it would seem, of the enhanced Special Editions. Having previously confessed to shooting a number of additional scenes for the original trilogy while filming Episode II and with many more to be lensed during the third prequel’s production, George has made it his mission to complete the story once and for all. And so, we asked, will this spanking new footage make its debut on the DVD releases when they finally arrive? "Absolutely," confided McCallum with a conspiratorial grin.

Craig_T

Second Unit
If Lucas *really* wants to get fans fuming he can offer seamless branching...between the 1997 SE's and his latest 200x SE's!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have faith that at the end of the day, Lucas will release the OT in its original form. He knows in no uncertain terms that this is what the fans are demanding, and will eventually come around, though probably not before milking the tinkered versions for all they are worth
If Lucas just wanted to meet his fans' demands, he would release a barebones original trilogy NOW, not in 2007. It would just take a couple of people at LucasFilm to prepare the DVDs -- the remaining cast of thousands can concentrate on episode 3.
Hell, personally I would be happy with just Star Wars in it's original, uncut 70mm form. The rest can wait until 2017 for all I care.
Ted

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Hell, personally I would be happy with just Star Wars in it's original, uncut 70mm form. The rest can wait until 2017 for all I care.
... and my wife criticizes me for holding onto my THX and non-THX pre-Special Edition widescreen trilogies.
*sigh* If only she could understand... :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
When a new disc is delayed because the director wants to supervise every last inch of the transfer and supplements so that they meet his demanding specifications, I think that is a reason to celebrate.

Be thankful that George Lucas cares so much about his films that he is going to attempt to create the ultimate DVD set. He was heavily involved in both the THX original transfers and the THX SE transfers for laserdisc, and both are among the very best laserdiscs ever produced.

Of course, I can have this attitude because I have a laserdisc player. I can understand the frustration of not being able to own Star Wars on your chosen HT platform, especially right now when SW Fever is hitting really hard.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Ok, hang on....

Everyone on this forum complains about double dips. There are countless posts that I've seen complaining about buying a film, and then having a special edition released later. Does this mean that it's OK for Star Wars, but not for anything else?

Listen-you don't like what the man has to offer-just ignore it. You want the original versions of the films-get em on VHS or laser. If Lucas wants to add new scenes to the films-more power to him. If he wants to hold off on the discs until he can dedicate some time to them-great-I want him to be involved in the DVD production. If you don't like it-go write your own film...

Oscar

Second Unit
Was Lucas involved in the transfer for TPM?

I think it will be well-worth the wait.

Geez, i wish i had a time machine to travel through time into 2006 and go and buy the DVD´s before DVD extincts.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Everyone on this forum complains about double dips. There are countless posts that I've seen complaining about buying a film, and then having a special edition released later. Does this mean that it's OK for Star Wars, but not for anything else?
The only complaining I've seen here regarding "double dips" is when a studio releases a CE one month, and then three months later or so releases a UE, without notifying the DVD buying community that a better version of the title is already in the pipeline.

I don't see anybody here upset about The Lord of the Rings-Fellowship "double dip", for example, since it was already announced many weeks ago that we would get a CE release in August followed by a new Director's Edition in November.

In the case of the Original Star Wars Trilogy, we already know that Lucas will be issuing his "Super-Duper" iterations of these films in late 2006. Therefore, anybody purchasing a Star Wars OT release prior to that date will definitely know that something better will be forthcoming later.

This is *not* the "double-dipping" complained about here!

IMO, Lucas really needs to give us, at the very least, the '97 SE's in basic form in November 2003. It's rumored that these films will be released again to VHS at that time; not including DVD with that release will be extremely confusing to the casual home video consumer. Besides, 2003 is already the start of the DVD format's seventh year. No other home video format had to wait that long for the first release of the original trilogy.

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
OK, here is my suggested release schedule:
2003 - release the original trilogy - bare bones only
2004 - release SE version of trilogy - bare bones
2005 - re-release OT with changed cover artwork -bare bones
2006 - re-release SE with changed cover art work-bare bones
Hands up who has 4 copies of the same movie so far.....:D
Then,
2007 - release the OT UE with 2nd disc full of extras
2008 - release OT (SE) UE with 2nd disc of extras
2009 - re-release all 6 movies in special packaging
2010 - re-release all 6 movies in new packaging
2011 - re-release all 6 movies in new packaging
...get the pattern??? :D :D
Angela

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I have faith that at the end of the day, Lucas will release the OT in its original form. He knows in no uncertain terms that this is what the fans are demanding, and will eventually come around, though probably not before milking the tinkered versions for all they are worth.
I don't mean to be completely pessemistic, but since when did Lucas care about what the fans wanted?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't mean to be completely pessemistic, but since when did Lucas care about what the fans wanted?
Lucas has two options:

1. Do a rush job of the OT (movie-only)

2. Wait 3 years to do it right.

Think of the Doctor Zhivago incident. MGM almost releases a bare-bones 4:3 to 16x9 movie-only disc in 1998 (cancelled), while WB releases an A+ SE in 2001. Is the moral of the story saying that MGM cared about the fans so much that they were going to release a piece of crap and WB waited too long to release so they could do it right?

The OT of Star Wars should be a pinnacle of DVD...not just a rush job to please the people who would rather have it now than have it right. How many of you will be more than willing to buy the SW OT twice within 3 years?

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
How many of you will be more than willing to buy the SW OT twice within 3 years?
my hand is waving in the air.... :D
I'd buy the bare bones now, then sell it, or give it away to family members and get the SE versions in 2006.
I figure the cost of the original bare bones release will more then cover the many hours of enjoyment I'll be getting over the next 3 years while waiting for the SE versions.
Angela :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The only complaining I've seen here regarding "double dips" is when a studio releases a CE one month, and then three months later or so releases a UE, without notifying the DVD buying community that a better version of the title is already in the pipeline.
I've seen people complain about double-dipping when there were years between releases.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks