Original Trilogy DVD's Delayed -new article

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by IanS, May 11, 2002.

1. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

That's just a lame excuse. I'm sure with all they made from TPM and what they'll probably take in from AOTC, they could put a small team on just putting together a bare bones OT. GL doesn't have to get directly involved. Methinks he's TOO MUCH of a MICRO-MANAGER! Besides, if AOTC does as good as Ron's review would indicate it will, this would be the perfect time to come out with the OT, riding a wave of resurgence after the TPM letdown.

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

What Mr. Lucas doesn't seem to understand is that interest in the OT will peak in April 2005, about a month before the release of Episode 3.
    At that time there will be approximately 61 million dedicated DVD players in use in this country alone, according to current estimates.
    Surely, he's got somebody on his team that can comprehend what those two facts, mixed together, mean; and will bring this to his attention.
    He needs a BASIC RELEASE of the '97 OT in late 2003 or early 2004 to DVD. This will make the fans happy, kill the bootleggers, and take the pressure off getting these films out in a 12-18 month period following the release of Episode III.
    The 1997 versions of these films should still be in good enough shape to transfer to DVD "as is", in anamorphic widescreen and DD 5.1, with the same documentary and trailers that were included with the LaserDisc release of these films. This will be more than enough to satisfy the fans at this time.
    He can then take his time on his "super duper" OT release.
    (2007 will be the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars film.)
    IF HE DOESN'T do this he will be alienating his fans and vastly enriching the bootleggers.
    It should be pointed out here that at the time the Star Wars on DVD petition was launched back in February of 2000, there were 5.8 million dedicated DVD players in use in this country. That figure has currently risen to 30 million. At that rate, the 61 million players cited above may actually be considered conservative.
    The man needs to wake up to the real world needs of his franchise.

4. andrew markworthy

I suspect, as I've said in earlier threads when this has been raised, that the original SW trilogy will be issued in an altered state so that it makes more sense when seen as movies 4,5 and 6 in the new running order.

Please note I'm not advocating this, but I suspect that flashbacks of Darth Vader remembering his early life as Anakin Skywalker are possible.

5. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

as long as lucas does this one up right, I for one can wait. The very least these should have both versions on the DVD via seemless branching. OAR and anamorpic is a must also.

As far as extras they should all be on disc two so these can be like a super bit deluxe type of release. (I know they are not the same studio)

6. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

If he wants to alter some things or change some things to complete his vision, fine. I remember three years ago when we were saying, "2005 is 6 years away", but we're 1/2 way there already. At least we know what's going on with Star Wars.

What I'm more concerned about is that the entire Indiana Jones franchise seems to have been neglected (partially because of Star Wars I might add). They've been trying to do Indy 4 since 1993. As far as Indiana Jones on DVD, we have nothing but finger pointing. McCallum saying Paramount is the problem, and Paramount saying Lucasfilm is the problem. At least we know what's going on with Star Wars, and can accept that. But with Indiana Jones, it seems the fans are kept waiting because two companies cannot sit down rationally and come to some sort of negotiated agreement. The fans lose out in the process, and we are the ones that are demanding the product. Without us, these films wouldn't be the classics they are today.

Regards,

Dan

7. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

It's just my opinion, but don't hold you breath for the original, original trilogy to be released on DVD or anything else. As for as Lucas is concerned, the 1997 version is the way these movies are now. Having the original LD's is the best way to still be able to watch the originals. Lucas may tinker even more with the original trilogy and that's why he's waiting.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's nice to hear that Lucas wants to spend time on the SW films rather than do a rush job. [​IMG]

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I'd expect to see final revised definitive editions of all six in 2007 frankly, for the 30th anniversary. EpIII DVD in Fall 2005, then I'd say the man needs a holiday before turning to the classic trilogy once more and compiling his super duper saga edition. [​IMG] Bring it on! I do personally believe he will include the original theatrical releases as part of this alleged 'archival edition' or whatever you want to deem it.
    Dan

11. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Lucas will be adding new scenes and new John Williams music to the OT. He wants them to flow better with Eps 1-3.

Williams already confirmed that he will be adding the Imperial March to ANH.

Bail Organa may show up in it too (Jimmy Smits).

I am sick of Lucas. I am glad I own the LDs because that is the only way I think we will be able to own the true, original Star Wars movies.

12. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I think Lucas will include the original versions as well.

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I have faith that at the end of the day, Lucas will release the OT in its original form. He knows in no uncertain terms that this is what the fans are demanding, and will eventually come around, though probably not before milking the tinkered versions for all they are worth.

14. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I sure am glad that i held onto my LD copies of these films, both original version and SE, because the prospects of getting either version seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer. I think the main problem that isn't being addressed here is that the OT is going to look very gritty when compared to the prequel trilogy and that may be the reason that he's going to revamp the films further. I personally wouldn't mind as long as there was some release of the original cuts but this probably isn't going to happen. Not to be overly pessimisstic but this topic is just getting extremely tiring. It seems like everyone wants the original Star Wars movies on dvd but they still don't come out. Every time i see a thread like this i look over at my trusty old LD player and smile.[​IMG]

15. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Geez, i wish someone in the past, would have told me about Laserdisc.

I wouldn want both versions.

I didnĀ“t mind the changes on the SE.

16. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I think if we can get both versions of ET, than both versions ov SW trilogy can be possible. I hope MR. Lucas will agree.

17. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Not a snowballs chance in hell that Lucas will release the original unaltered versions, IMHO. We will get movies that have been further altered, however.
    Personally, I'd be mostly satisfied if he excised that idiocy with Han Solo ducking, Luke screaming and of course that nasty dance scene in RotJ... but frankly I don't see that happening either.
    Star Wars Ep IV, v 3.0... mark my words. [​IMG]

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...but at this point, I say...screw with it all you want Georgie-Boy.

I've got my OT Definitive Collection LDs...so I'm fine. And hell, maybe if he screws with them more, they might actaully get better...you never know.

19. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

The problem is that people will buy any Star Wars DVD, original version or not. Vote with your wallet, of course that won't happen.

20. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

I would hope that Lucas would follow Ridley Scott's example of planning to release Blade Runner with multiple versions of the film. If the Blade Runner SE is successful, I think Lucas would be much more inclined to do a similar thing with the Star Wars films.