Original SVS driver applications

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wes Nance, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I can't get the search engine to work on HTF, and am thinking about getting an original SVS 12" driver for an inexpensive sub coupled with the new $65 sub amp from PE.

Could somebody post the original T/S parameters or approximations for that driver, and/or opinions would it work in a smaller box?

I'm looking to build a smallish box, mostly for music and some movies. I was going to build sealed, but can't remember if this driver will work well for that or not.

If somebody can give me a quick answer I would appreciate it. I haven't been able to get the search engine to work all day, always comes up with "no results". . .

thanks!

Wes

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The original SVS driver models EXTREMELY close to the Adire Shiva. Most people use the Shiva T/S specs when modeling enclosures for the original SVS drivers. I beleive the Shiva may have 1 or 2 mm more excursion, but they're pretty much interchangable when doing calculations.

You may want to consider the $89 250watt plate amp from MCM. More than double the power, which is a fairly noticable increase, for only $25 more.

Good luck with your project [​IMG]

3. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

I checked, and the MCM amp is now out of stock with an 110 day lead time. This sub project is a gift for a small apartment room paired with some little TB W3-871 home theater setup, so I don't need a ton of output. I also need it to be quite small.

I'll probably build a smallish Q .67 or so sub with this amp and the SVS driver (if I get it) and plan on some room gain to bring up the bottom a bit. I'm aiming more for music than HT with this one. . .

Thanks for your reply-

Wes

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Dayum, that's a long time. I just sold two of those puppies on Ebay, too. I didn't realize they would be so popular.