What's new

Original Star wars on DVD (1 Viewer)

Ted Ehlers

Grip
Ricardo, It's cool. Go ahead and pop on your ROTJ laserdisc and turn up the bass to 10. Or pop the AOTC DVD on and listen to Lucas drone about the fantastic power that being able to digitally cut and paste eyeblinks gives a director. We are both essentially on the same side here. Only I am a little more tired of the topic.

If we were on a plane, we could talk Star Wars the whole way, I'm sure. I've been into it since I was 5.

But is Star Wars is an inexhastable fountain of pure cinematic awesomeness that can never run dry? And is commenting on a thread of nearly 300 frantic wails of pain mean I'm somehow unpatriotic to the Lucasfilm, Ltd. nation? How did Spiderman stack up against Attack of the Clones anyway? There was a time when "Star Wars" meant #1 movie of the summer.

++++Or maybe that's an unsubstantiated theory thrown out there to try and make some tempers flare.+++

It's all just opinion. I didn't think anything I said was too outragous, in fact I thought I'd have quite a few "Yeah, Star Wars has occupied too large a chunk of my wish list rants" But, only the fanatic roam this many posts deep.

Sorry If I flare any tempers by suggesting there is any rust on the Star Wars armor, past or present.

Final thought: Star Wars, at least the OT is worth getting on DVD unaltered. If it does not happen, it's not akin to tossing a Van Gogh in the trash. Patience. We waited 16 years for Episode I, and look where it got us.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just curious as to why Lucas gets all of the blame for ROTJ's "shortcomings" and he gets none of the praise for ESB's greatness? He directed neither film, yet he gets all of the blame and none of the praise.
I've never heard anyone give "none" of the credit for ESB to Lucas. What people DO say is that the involvement of Kurtz and Kershner made it better. It's the COLLABORATION that made it better. ROTJ wasn't as good in their absence. People are thinking there was less of a collaborative effort for ROTJ, and more of a "this film will be done MY way" attitude on the part of Lucas.

Furthermore, you NEVER see people fail to give Lucas credit for the first film. I simply take the attitude that the man's past efforts do NOT automatically make his subsequent efforts good. He does NOT deserve a "free ride" for what he did 26 years ago. I've long suspected that many Lucas fans look at his more recent efforts through a "this is the genius who gave us the first film" prism.

I discarded that prism years ago.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

That's a good point. The liner notes of the Definitive Collection LDs list talks about the different changes that were made to the soundtrack over the years.

Having all of the pre-SE versions via seamless branching and different audio tracks would be nice.

Is the only pre-SE visual change the "Episode IV: A New Hope" subtitle? If that is the case, then seamless branching shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think the main reason Star Wars OT is such a hot topic is this:

It's the only major series of movies (pop-culture wise, not cinematic worthiness) that is NOT on DVD. With the recent announcement of Indy, what else are people really pining for on a mass scale? I have my Godfathers, will have my Indy, have basically every movie I want. Except the original OT.

So what else am I going to complain about not having on DVD?

Oh yeah, Dream Lover...mmmm Madchen Amick
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And Luis,

What's up? First of you're just as impassioned, if not more so, than those who want the original OT on DVD.

Then all the sudden you're "with Ted" and laughing at "those of us who care."

You can't have it both ways. You're one of the ones he's laughing at too.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point. The liner notes of the Definitive Collection LDs list talks about the different changes that were made to the soundtrack over the years.

Having all of the pre-SE versions via seamless branching and different audio tracks would be nice.

Is the only pre-SE visual change the "Episode IV: A New Hope" subtitle? If that is the case, then seamless branching shouldn't be too difficult, right?
Yeah, nobody ever really complained about the "Episode IV" addition to the pre-SE LD version. In fact, I don't believe any home video version of ANH ever used the original 1977 version. It would be nice if the 1977 version is used for an unaltered OT DVD, but it wouldn't really bother me if they went with "Episode IV."

Luis A

Second Unit
Carlo, the only side I'm on is my own. ;)

As for Ted's posts I found the first one well worded, and the 2nd one literally had me laughing my ass off. Even if I may not agree with his opinion doesn't mean I can't give him props for what he has said. He MAY be laughing at me too (personally I do not see it that way) but that is not something I let bother me. Why get flustered over nothing?:)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Final thought: Star Wars, at least the OT is worth getting on DVD unaltered. If it does not happen, it's not akin to tossing a Van Gogh in the trash. Patience. We waited 16 years for Episode I, and look where it got us.
And if that doesn't get you an award for passive-aggressive post of the year, nothing will.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I thought for sure that the first run of the first movie had "A New Hope" just before the banner came up. It was shortly after that when we found out that there were 8 more.

Oh well.

Glenn

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
OT news from the recent starwars.com chat.

John Knoll said he hopes George will have him redo the Jabba CG model in ANH using the better TPM version after Episode III is complete.

While this may not appease fans that don't want the scene at all, it at least won't look AS bad.

Luis A

Second Unit
Very cool I like that scene, even with the not so good CG Jabba.

I'm hoping more changes like this happen. Maybe more could be added to the Battle of Hoth like more AT-AT's, Snowtroopers, speeder, etc. Just so it can at least somewhat compete with the EP1 and EP2 battles which are far far better IMO.:)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Ughhh, that Jabba scene is the worst! I was so embarassed at how badly that was done, I had to bury my face the first time I saw it. You think Han looks like he's really stepping on Jabba's tail? I think it looks totally unbelievable, but even worse is the fact that I don't think a puny human would would put that kinda hurt on a giant space slug like Jabba. Oh, and Jabba looks terrible. Man I hate that scene. And thats the one that I was most looking forward to.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The Jabba scene bothers me in theory, but in reality it doesn't bug me too much. The reason I dislike it is because I know that Jabba shouldn't be revealed until ROTJ, to play up the tension. But since, I had already seen Jabba a million times in the OT...it doesn't bother me seeing him in ANH:SE.

...but to new viewers, they shouldn't get spoiled so early with a crummy looking Jabba in a poorly done scene.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Maybe more could be added to the Battle of Hoth like more AT-AT's, Snowtroopers, speeder, etc
Bite your tongue! :D

Seriously, I think the Battle Of Hoth is perfect as is. I get chills every time the music swells up and you see the AT-AT's bearing down after the Rebels call for retreat.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Jabba thing also gets to me. It's not exactly an important scene and is pretty repetitive when Han gives the same dialogue with Greedo. It might let you know a little more about Han, that he's just playing them and has little intention of giving back the money by using the same rehearsed speech. I'm alright with the scene being there but the tail-stepping is pretty out of place. Would someone step on the foot of a druglord and get away with no penalty? If Lucas wants the scene in, I'm fine with that, but how could they fix that bit?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
...but to new viewers, they shouldn't get spoiled so early with a crummy looking Jabba in a poorly done scene.
But Jabba does appear in TPM (and possibly Episode III), so there's no concern about spoiling the audience now.

Still, I woudn't mind seeing ILM changing the ANH Jabba to match how he looks in TPM and ROTJ in the Archival Edition.

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Ted, can you help me? I want to join your support group. In the past year and a half I've endured a bad Star Wars movie, a bad Star Trek movie AND series, and a bad season of Buffy.

*sob* I don't know what to believe in anymore. *sob*

Luis A

Second Unit
Actually John the "proper" order would be how GL would want it to be seen (EPS I-VI). The order you describe would be how some fans think it should be seen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks