What's new

Original Star wars on DVD (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If I were Lucas, I'd go live on national TV and burn the original negatives, reel by reel, just to spite this type of intransigent, impossible-to-please fan.
Who exactly are you attacking with that statement? I don't think anyone on this forum has acted like they're impossible-to-please. Most of us have said that we would be very pleased if Lucas were to release the originals.

But to you, it seems that Lucas acting out of spite is alright...but fans being irked isn't? It seems that those of us who are even remotely disappointed by the prospect of never owning the OT on DVD are being told "You'll get nothing, and like it!" If Lucas is allowed to reserve the right to never release the OT, than I'm certainly entitled to be disappointed about it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Matt, see that thing you just quoted? They call those "jokes" ;)

And no one said you can't be disappointed. I will feel the same way if Lucas sticks to his guns. What got me started on this thread was the occasional use of words like "bastard" to condemn the man for a decision he hasn't made yet. You'd think that LFL acknowledging the campaign would be a positive sign.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay, I can understand that...which is the prime reason I don't engage in name-calling. It tends to cheapen one's argument.

In the name-caller's defense though, they are condemning him for a decision that he has already made. I'm not going to go quote-hunt right now, but Lucas has said on multiple occasions that the OT won't make it to DVD. Now, if we are to believe him...then he's made his decision, and people have every right to judge him for it.

As I said before, I honestly don't care too much either way...but I can see both sides of the argument.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Be warned that this is another person's insight into George Lucas and not my own (since I've never been eyeball to eyeball with the man).

One of my friend's brother personally met and dealt with Mr. Lucas on a professional level at Skywalker Ranch and didn't come from that experience with the highest regard for him (after the topic of Star Wars came up). I believe he came to the conclusion, after an eyebrow raising discussion, that Lucas was very egocentric (perhaps to the extreme) and pretty much only cared for what Mr. Lucas wanted... anyone else's opinion be damned (because he was going to shape your's and you'd best like it), especially when it came to Star Wars, his baby (even though his devoted fans made him what he is today: filthy rich).

He could take the high road like his friend Spielberg with E.T. and release fully restored versions of the Original Beloved Trilogy (with a choice of newly remixed 6.1 sound or original Dolby Stereo) for posterity's sake along with his (IMHO, bastardized) versions, but if he gets doggidly stubborn and digs in his heels like I was told he can then we can forget it.

I hope my friend's brother was wrong about Mr. Lucas, I truly do, for the fans' sake as well as my own because personally I only care about the original trilogy and getting it in the best possible presentation (the "Faces" THX laserdiscs are okay, but the picture quality is obviously fuzzy and the prints that were used were not in the most pristine shape, and the telcine quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially since this is Star Wars).

The new Teletubbie-esque prequels can rot in the vault for all I care.

Dan

Luis A

Second Unit
I would say he is wrong. People at work who have been to Skywalker Ranch, and have met him say he is down to earth, and a really nice guy. A relative who worked on the FX of EP1 (I think) said the same thing. Maybe your friends sister's brothers friend ;) just caught him on a bad day.:)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I have a bad feeling that when it comes to releasing the OT on DVD, he probably will take the stubborn route and not give in to the wishes of the fans. He wants things done his way and after nearly 3 decades of getting what he wants, there's no reason to believe he will change his mind. The guy is rich and powerful enough to basically say "screw you, I'll put out what I want on DVD and if you don't like it, don't buy it". Unfortunately, I think the only version of Episodes 4-6 we will ever see on DVD are the new versions of the SE that he is currently butchering......I mean, working on. Sadly, the original trilogy as we know will be relegated to VHS and Laserdisc forever and as far as I'm concerned, that really F**KING SUCKS!

Luis A

Second Unit
when it comes to releasing the OT on DVD, he probably take the stubborn route and not give into the wishes of the fans
And for the umpteenth time he gave everyone the chance to own these films one last time, before DVD. He's not a fortune teller, and can't be expected to forsee any advancements in technology.

I also want these on DVD, but we have known for 10 years now that they wouldn't be.:)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Luis,

It really pisses me off that you expect Star Wars fans to be content having these movies on obsolete formats like VHS and Laserdisc. Anyone concerned with quality(which I am) wants them on DVD with DIGITAL picture and sound. That's what this whole argument is about! And don't give me that crap about Lucas not being able to forsee advancements in technology--that's exactly what he does for a living. He probably knew about DVD before it was even created. He is always at the forefront of technological breakthroughs and I would expect that he of all people would like his precious films to be presented in the highest quality format possible......but I guess that's not the case.

Luis A

Second Unit
First Brent let me apologize. I'm not here to piss you or any of the Star Wars fans off. I just wanted to state the facts, and try not to make assumptions b/c we know what that does ;). I don't EXPECT you or other fans to be content with the current formats these films are on, but you are just setting yourself up for disappointment b/c it has been made perfectly clear that these film will not be released on DVD in their original form. I would like these films on DVD also, but I won't sweat it if it doesn't happen, and as far as I know it won't. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
And for the umpteenth time he gave everyone the chance to own these films one last time, before DVD.
And, for the umpteenth time, the whole "one last time" thing was 99.9% marketing campaign. Yes, approved by Lucas, but certainly with the full knowledge that he can change his mind anytime he wants to.

Or is convinced to. The entire debate here really isn't worth a fig, because it's a faint echo of similar debates across the internet. What really matters is just expressing polite interest in getting DVDs of the OT to the folks at Fox and Lucasfilms who are going to be the ones that influence Lucas about changing his mind.

Luis, for all that you've taken the position of defending the guy, I really don't see you calling up anyone at Fox or Lucasfilms and saying, "Please, oh PLEASE, do NOT release the OT on DVD!" :wink:

It's a no-brainer that DVDs weren't around when that marketing campaign ran. It's a no-brainer that Lucas is able to change his mind and will ignore the criticism that some ill-mannered folk will throw his way, just like he continues to ignore criticism of all things that really are his decision to make (ahem, Jar-Jar).

It's also a no-brainer that people desperate enough to own the films in the meantime will have made their own decision to spend their own money in what they must surely realize is a possibly-temporary fix to the problem of "no DVDs". If DVDs got announced next week, those that spend money could either choose to say "ha ha, I've enjoyed the films all along" or else choose to cry over "wasted money". They could, of course, continue to hang on to what they've got and just not "waste money on redundant DVDs". :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My point was that you might be defending Lucas' right to not release the OT on DVD, but if he released them on that format you would be as grateful as the rest of us. :D

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't think anyone here is against anamaphoric releases of the original trilogy! I for one would love it. It's just that this silly arguing goes on and on here on the forum. If you want the OT on dvd, you're just spinning your wheels arguing about it here. Do something constructive about it. Start a letter writing campaign, buy space in a magazine to write a letter to Lucase, something. Do you guys really think that if Lucas read through some of the posts on this thread that he would really think that he needs to release the OT for his fans? He has been belittled in this thread. I see a lot of posts on how pissed people are at Lucas, but do you really think he would care? If he puts out the special edition on dvd, 99% of us are going to buy it and he knows it. What you need are constructive posts that show sincerity, not belittling the man. Those posts do nothing to further the cause of bringing the OT to dvd.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
He's not a fortune teller, and can't be expected to forsee any advancements in technology.
Hmm, that's funny because a LOWLY CIRCUIT CITY employee must have been a fortune teller! Right around 1995 (probably around the time the VHS OT came out) I was in the market for a LD player, and the guy at CC told me about this wonderful new technology coming out "in a year or two" called DVD...

Seems the minimum wage + commission guy was a little more ahead of the curve than ol' Mr. Lucas! ;)

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I must have been under a rock in recent history :) Well, with HT, I guess I've been out-of-touch, more or less, for the past 3 years. What happened to all the "buzz" about Lucas releasing the Original Trilogy AFTER the Ep.3 DVD? I apologize if this was not common knowledge a few years back, but I really thought this was the definitive answer. I work 1/4 mile from Lucas Arts, and their employees often purchase supplies from my store (for their sets), so maybe I heard it from one of them? I've even bumped into George at my favorite sandwich place - he was eating alone!

I've only seen negative comments on this forum that don't back this rumor(?), so my question is where are you guys getting the disbelief that he's NEVER releasing them? I can understand everyone's frustration, but all this negativity, and personal attacks on George are way too harsh.

As far as the OT goes, it makes perfect sense (to me) that he will wait until after Ep.3, because of the expectations from everyone, and all the work involved. Not to mention, the "completion" of Star Wars. Then, he can polish the OT, and do it RIGHT :D

Peace, and sorry again if this rumor has been proven false without my knowledge.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
where are you guys getting the disbelief that he's NEVER releasing them?
People are saying that he is never releasing the original, Pre-Special Edition, versions of the Original Trilogy. Lucas has said that when he releases the OT on DVD, it will only be the Special Edition versions.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Cliff, some folks use the phrase "original trilogy" to mean Episodes 4 through 6 of the Star Wars saga in any of their various incarnations, while others use it more specifically to refer to those versions released theatrically in 1977, 1980, and 1983.

One can safely assume that some permutation of the three films will make their way to DVD within the next few years, but whether or not that includes the ORIGINAL versions is still up in the air (personally, I doubt it).

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Then the modified theatrical versions will be released! Got it. Thanks for the input, and setting me straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks