What's new

Original sound mixes on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Hi all...

I've been reading specs on HD discs recently, and noticing an annoying trend that's being continued from standard-def DVD releases. Namely, there is a lack of original sound mixes on many of these new discs.

Universal, while releasing discs with seemingly great PQ, seems to be the biggest offender in this area. Warner seems to do it sometimes as well. Here's an incomplete list of discs that have 5.1 tracks but NOT the original sound mixes (please correct if any errors):

An American Werewolf In London
Army of Darkness
Blazing Saddles
The Breakfast Club
The Deer Hunter
The Dirty Dozen
Enter the Dragon
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Full Metal Jacket
Grand Prix
Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
The Princess Bride
Rocky
The Sting
Superman
U2: Rattle & Hum
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

I feel like this thing has to be nipped in the bud before it becomes a common practice. Many of us have complained when original sound mixes were not available on standard-def DVD, and now no one seems to be speaking up about it.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Both DUNE and THE THING (and possibly some of the others on your list) had 70mm playdates theatrically. Thus, the 5.1 sound on these HD-DVDs will likely be ports of the 6-track stereo mixes prepared for the 70mm prints.

On the whole though, I agree with you. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when remixed tracks overtake the original sound mixes completely (*cough*cough*anchorbaysuspiria*cough*). There's more than enough room on these discs (and hell, even standard-def DVD) to offer both original and remixed soundtrack options.

Vincent

Jace_A

Second Unit
Superman is lacking the highly regarded original soundtrack. It only offers the butchered 5.1 track. That, to me, is the biggest HD DVD offender.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if you changed the thread title to reflect the true nature of the thread.
This thread is NOT about "Original sound mixes on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray".
It is about titles w/o " Original sound mixes on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray".
Check your own list.

I don't think;
Forbidden Planet
has an "original" soundtrack.

Support OST!!!
ala OAR.

GregK

Screenwriter

It's my understanding the three front channels represent the original soundtrack. ..As for the DVD's surround track .. that is "questionable".

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think you can be assured the stems are "original".
However, as you point out (which proves my point), the surrounds are made up from "original" elements. Yeah its GREAT, they still have the directional front channels. Yet, that still makes this 5.1 soundtrack for "FP" not "original".

If I remember correctly, I'm OLD, so..., the "original" multi-track soundtrack for "FP" is "lost" forever. None the less, the HD DVD (& DVD for that matter) should have contained the "original" surviving mono soundtrack!

Still amazed were talking about this as being one of the first HD DVD titles, that even comes in a collector tin if your willing to pay for it.
Hip, hip, hooray!!!

OP,
Don't fret, over two hundred hits on this thread. So, the word is getting out.

Peace, Love, & HiDef.

GregK

Screenwriter

Not to split hairs, but the fronts are the original mix screen channels. Not stems, as defined in mixing terms. And while it's likely the original discrete surround channel is still "lost", (it's been lost for ages, unless WB recently unearthed it) it's worth noting the surround / "effect" track was sparsely used in those days.. which is why I phrased it the way I did.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
I find the entire thing frustrating, because it's an annoying practice that was carried over from SD DVD. Disney made an announcement that Sleeping Beauty will come to Blu-Ray in 7.1 PCM. 7.1?!?!? I'm fairly certain that's not the original sound mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gbenito