Original Sound and Language if English is not your language?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Chong, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

With Universal's decision, according to Peter M. Bracke of DVDFile, to go to the trouble of providing 5.1 French and 5.1 Spanish tracks in lieu of the dts track on the '82 cut of 'E.T.: The Extraterrestrial' in today's gift-set, I've been wondering:

Seeing how we film aficionados prefer original aspect ratio as well as original sound and language in the non-English language movies we buy on dvd, shouldn't the same respect be paid to English-language movies?

Do serious movie fans who don't understand English prefer to watch English-language movies in English with subtitles in a language they do understand?

Just curious.

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Well, I'm a Norwegian who do understand english pretty well, but I think the original language is the one the movie should be played with, for exactly the same reason why non-english movies should not be dubbed either.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I rarely watch non-English movies, but I'd have to agree. the first time I watched Nikita, it was an English dub. which was pretty awful, and I wondered why everyone had hyped it up as being such a briliant film. some time later, I had the opportunity to watch it in the original French. much better [​IMG]
    so count me in the camp of watching movies in the original language.
    having said that, I guess I "bend" this rule a bit when it comes to Cantonese movies; I understand Mandarin, and am happy to watch Mandarin dubs of Cantonese movies. lip-sync is less of an issue in such dubs since many lines can be swapped straight (since they are both Chinese dialects, often the only difference is the way you say something, it's written the same and means the same thing).
    however, I am told by Cantonese speakers (who also speak Mandarin) that this is not always true, and many times a lot of jokes are lost since the colloquial Cantonese cannot be translated into Mandarin, or the meaning is simply lost (imagine if you will the differences sometimes in British and American references, and you'll see what I mean). but since the joke would be lost in English subtitles anyway, does it really make much of a difference?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

5. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

What bothers me is when movies are marketed in a language other than the original and they make it seem like ONLY those who don't understand that alternate language should see the original.

This is insane in Quebec, 70% of theater admissions in 2001 were in french, I'm sure there is more than 30% of the population that understand english! But they were brainwashed into the idea that only those who don't understand french should see it in english. We just replaced all the actors in the movie, but who cares it's the same movie! Yeah, Right!

My sister speaks french, english and is now learning spanish and she still watches all her movies in french (Except when she comes over to watch DVDs with me - Not OSL = Not With Me). And my dad too, when he comes over to watch a DVD, he wants the french track but he can understand english still, so when there is no french track on the disk (Including when I lie to him and make him believe that there is no french track on the disk!) he doesn't mind seeing it in english. Just the sad sad state of Quebec... What a shame!

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...Just the sad sad state of Quebec... What a shame!"
    ...ahh... well... ahh... the same 'sad state' applies to France (and, I imagine, French Possessions) and to the vast majority of French moviegoers outside of Paris, who are used to seeing non-French-language movies dubbed into French (and who, incidentally, tend to complain - at least where dubbed DVDs are concerned - when the so-called 'French' dub was done in Canada, with Canadian actors)... also to Italy (where virtually all movies are dubbed into Italian) ... and most definitely to Germany (and, possibly, German-speaking Austria and Liechtenstein as well) (where virtually all movies are shown dubbed into German)... and (I'm not sure of this, just guessing here) to Spain (and Spanish-speaking Central and South American countries)...
    ...the (sad?) fact is: for better or worse a lot of people, certainly in the countries mentioned above, are not used to and/or do not like to 'read' movies...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

7. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Fortunately, only children's films (since children can't read subtitles as quickly) are dubbed here in Sweden. Everyting else is subtitled.

For a movie like Monsters, Inc., that has appeal for both young and old, often times evening showings with Swedish subtitles will be had, whereas the dubbed versions will be shown in the same theatre during the day, when children can see it.

Works for me.

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

11. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

12. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter