What's new

Original Sgt. Hartman? (Full Metal Jacket) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I wouldn't be too hard on Anthony Michael Hall, if his problem was with the basic training it's a sound one. I sure as hell wouldn't go through that either. In preparation for war, yes, for a movie, nope.
If his problem was with Kubrick, I can't blame him here either. Film God or not, I am not going to do a film where the director yells and screams needlessly all the time. This is why I would NEVER in a million years do a film directed by someone like James Cameron or William Friedkin. They're too damn mean and nasty! :)
I've had bosses like this in the past, and i'll never work for people like that again.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Film God or not, I am not going to do a film where the director yells and screams needlessly all the time.
From all accounts I've read, Kubrick was *not* a director who "yelled and screamed". Just watch the "Making of The Shining" and you can see that where he had more than a good cause to yell at Shelley Duvall, he merely speaks in a very firm - annoyed, sure - voice.

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
I sure as hell wouldn't go through that either. In preparation for war, yes, for a movie, nope.
That's funny, I wouldn't go through it to get ready to kill other kids who just went through the same thing, but I would do it to work with Stanley Kubrick. I'd go through boot camp to serve him coffee.

Also, Darren under your "further reading" list, The Short-Timers was written by Hasford, not Harford. Nitpicking, but hey (great essay, by the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks