Original "Outer Limits" coming to DVD from MGM !

RobertR

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I agree with Jack, too. Once again, it sounds like some people put a great deal of emphasis on production values and FX in deciding the quality of something. Writing and acting come first and foremost. The Outer Limits was very good in this respect.

BTW, two of my other favorite OL episodes are The Inheritors and The Sixth Finger.

John Henry

Agent
Reaction score
Yes, Harlan Ellison's humongous ego tried to take credit for the story of THE TERMINATOR simply because they both feature a soldier going back in time, however, an Outer Limits episode made before Soldier, The Man Who Was Never Born was much more similiar to THE TERMINATOR in that it was about a man going back in time to kill someone so that the future wouldn't be a dystopian nightmare. And that episode was better than both of Harlan's. :p)

Peter Apruzzese

Producer
Reaction score
Website
Www.bigscreenclassics.com
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Ellison threatened to sue (he didn't, his threat was enough to get the credit on Terminator) because James Cameron TOLD people on the set of The Terminator that he had cribbed the basic idea of the film from Ellison's two Outer Limits episodes.
The Man Who Was Never Born is a great episode, but Demon With A Glass Hand is even better.

The original Outer Limits is one of the best television shows ever - I only hope these DVD releases come about sooner rather than later.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
Brian: Any idea of a release date? I can't tell you "there" I am. I want this series on DVD something awful.
My company isn't given that information, but our function is usually performed 3 to 6 months before release of the DVD, so we're probably looking at a summer or fall release.

David Lambert

Executive Producer
Reaction score
but Demon With A Glass Hand is even better.
Harlan received an award for that one...a Writer's Guild award. The episode was written as a cross-country chase, but budget constraints prevented that. Harlan was given the idea (by Bob Justman, who was later on Star Trek), to move the chase to inside a building (the building it was shot at was named The Bradbury Building, incidentally).
So it went from a horizontal chase to a vertical chase!

This information comes directly from Harlan himself, via the City On The Edge of Forever book he published (telling his side of the story on the famous "Star Trek" episode's butchering.
Edit: for spelling and accuracy.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
John Henry:
Brian, you say you're working on #11 NIGHTMARE, but NIGHTMARE is actually episode #10, so I wonder if there is an extra episode in there... perhaps the original pilot PLEASE STAND BY?
We list episode #1 as "Galaxy Being," which, according to this link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_ou...s/message/1373
is a re-edit of the pilot with different titles.
So far, we have not received any unaired material or unaired episodes... but that doesn't mean we won't.
For some reason MGM seems to have a few of these episodes misnumbered. We have Tourist Attraction listed as #10, with the next 3 pushed down by one. Eps 14-16 have the proper numbers. Also, they have eps 3 and 4 reversed, switching Man with the Power (which is what I'm working on tonight) with Architects of Fear. Perhaps they're going in the order they were filmed, rather than the order broadcast? Or perhaps all these Outer Limits episode guides are wrong. I don't know.

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I say let the poor guy do his work

Remember, most authoring houses are mechanics. They're given sources and a instruction manual, and they put it together. All bitching about ep order and such should be given to MGM
And why don't we wait till they actually street?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
Well, there's a lot of truth to that, Jeff. Thanks.

By the way, someone familiar with the series tell me if this is my imagination: In the episode "Man with the Power," is there some real homosexual innuendo when Harold Finley meets the astronaut Steve for the first time, or is that just my tainted 21st Century view?

Mark Lungo

Auditioning
Reaction score
The scene Brian refers to may have a tinge of gay innuendo to it, but I think it's more of a hero worship thing: Steve is the man Finley always wanted to be, living the life Finley always wanted to live. Brian, if you want to see an Outer Limits episode with a lot of homosexual undertones, check out "The Invisibles". And then there's the implied lesbian relationship between Sally Kellerman and Chita Rivera in "The Bellero Shield"...

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
You're probably right, Mark. It's just that Finley seems to be ogling Steve, and then he asks him if he's married (although for a different reason), Steve says no, "but I've got the proverbial girlfriend back home," and then the scene ends with Finley asking Steve if he's free for dinner that night as they're walking out the door. I just started laughing. Of course, it was immediately revealed that he was taking Steve to have dinner with his wife, but, I don't know, it was just it was kind of funny to me.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
You's all gon' be so happy. We just got in the rest of Season One, through episode #32, "The Form of Things Unknown." And, yes, I did double check this time to make sure they're for DVD -- they are.

Season One box set? You have as much info as I do, so your guess is as good as mine. (But the fact that these all came in at once would make my guess lean toward yes.)

I have not seen anything about any extras or any unreleased episodes, though.

Phil_William

Auditioning
Reaction score
I understand that the below person is responsible for the release of classic OL on DVD. Has anyone had contact with this person?
David Bishop MGM/UA
(310) 449-3455 (Business)
(310) 449-3000 (Operator)
[email protected]

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
You know, out of all the episodes they made the only one I really want is Demon with a Glass Hand. That one has always stood out for me as being not only the best episode The Outer Limits ever put out but IMO better than all the very fine shows that The Twilight Zone blessed on tv viewers.
The limitations of budget and thereby location only helped the paranoid claustrophobia the episode had running through it. The great performance by Robert Culp didn't hurt either.

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I agree that Demon With A Glass Hand is the best episode, and I eagerly wait for The Outer Limits to be available on DVD.

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I have compiled my official rankings of all the episodes from best to worst. As soon as I start watching them again on DVD, I may feel free to change the order.

1. Demon With A Glass Hand

2. The Galaxy Being

3. The Bellero Shield

4. The Sixth Finger

5. O.B.I.T.

6. The Invisibles

7. Corpus Earthling

8. Architects of Fear

9. Fun and Games

10. The Special One

11. Keeper of the Purple Twilight

12. The Man Who Was Never Born

13. The Mutant

14. Production and Decay of Strange Particles

15. The Man With the Power

16. It Crawled Out of the Woodwork

17. The Chameleon

18. The Forms of Things Unknown

19. I, Robot

20. The Inheriters

21. A Feasibility Study

22. Nightmare

23. The Mice

24. The Zanti Misfits

25. Expanding Human

26. 100 Days of the Dragon

27. Soldier

28. Expanding Human

29. The Borderland

30. Cry of Silence

31. The Brain of Colonel Barham

32. The Duplicate Man

33. Speciman Unknown

34. Moonstone

35. Human Factor

36. ZZZZZ

37. Tourist Attraction

38. The Premonition

39. The Guests

40. Cold Hands, Warm Heart

41. The Children of Spider County

42. Wolf 359

43. The Probe

44. Behold Eck

45. Don't Open Till Doomsday

46. Counterweight

47. The Invisible Enemy

48. Controlled Experiment

49. Second Chance

--Randy Schissler

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Brian: Please feel free to update us as developments occur. This is one DVD set I cannot wait for! JB

James Z

Extra
Reaction score
Demon With a Glass Hand is probably the best science fiction episode of any series or anthology I've ever seen. Pretty pure stuff. I saw (and taped) several Outer Limits episodes back in the mid-90's when TNT had Outer Limits marathons. Does anyone else remember that? The Sixth Finger is also excellent. Cold Hands, Warm Heart is a favorite because William Shatner is at his scenery chewing best. The celery stick or whatever it is he supposedly sees on Venus is a hoot.

Seriously, it really was incredible the quality of actor the series could pull in.

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer
Reaction score
And, quite frankly, the pilot episode, "The Galaxy Being," is marvelous. I remember seeing it when the thing first aired on ABC. A bunch of the kids gathered at my house, and we had a rocking great time. Love this series.

todd s

Lead Actor
Reaction score
It has been a month since we last heard from Brian. I wonder if he has anything new for us?

DennisHP

Second Unit
Reaction score
Will the entrance to the show say "There is nothing wrong with your DVD player"?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Montelereplay