Original Nosferatu DVD Where Can I get one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Pakula, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I have the re-release version of the 1929 classic
    but I want the original release as I understand it is
    in black and white rather than color tinting. Anyone know
    some places that still carry it? I think it's OOP so thats
    why Im asking where they might still have it.

-Mike

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Just turn the colour settings to zero on your television.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Most versions will have color tininting as that's the way it was exhibited in theaters.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The color tinting on the re-release is accurate to how the the film was intended to look. For example, the scenes meant to be taking place at night are obviously daylight shots. To give an eerier look, the film was shot with every intention for those scenes to be dark-blue tinted.

Anything that has Film Preservation Associates' name on it is quality work that has been reproduced on DVD under excellent conditions.

However...David Shepard (who runs FPA) operates on a shoestring budget, so most of the effects done to films such as restoration and tinting/toning are done digitally. While it's certainly excellent work, digital tinting doesn't quite look like the real thing.

Milestone Video will be releasing a version of Nosferatu which Photoplay Productions (Kevin Brownlow) restored and produced. They usually do the tints and tones on-film (at great cost), plus do orchestral scores most of the film. I'd keep the Blackhawk SE and then get the Milestone issue. Between those two, you'll have plenty of Nosferatu stuff...

And the red cover SE is the only version that has the ultra-cool commentary by Lokke Heiss and the now-and-then photographs of locations used in Nosferatu.

5. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The Photoplay/Kevin Brownlow restoration, to my mind, is definitive. I have the BFI R2 disc and it's absolutely magnificent - the atmosphere and mood afforded by the new intertitles and orchestral score by James Bernard is skin-prickling!

6. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

7. Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr Stunt Coordinator

If you go to FYE or any store like that, that has many DVDs that are bargain DVDs, they could have a Double Feature Edition with Nosferatu and The Phantom of the Opera. I remember I had to do a film paper like 2 weeks ago and I needed Nosferatu for the paper but I didn't have 20 bucks to spend on a special edition so I went to FYE and found a 6.99 version of both of these black and white films. If you want quality...you are in the wrong place...if you want just the black and white? That's your best bet and plus for under 10 bucks.