What's new

Original Movie Posters (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone help in suggesting resources for purchasing ORIGINAL one-sheet movie posters?

I recently ordered some classic reproductions through www.MovieGoods.com and was extremely dissapointed!

They looked like blown-up photocopies with horribly inaccurate color representation and the credit text at the bottom not even legible!

I know I can probably expect to shell out a few hundred dollars, but I'm willing to do so for quality originals in mint condition.

I'm specifically looking for "Out Of The Past" (1947) w/ Robert Mitchum and "Murder My Sweet" (1944) w/ Dick Powell.

I don't expecty to find either on Ebay anytime soon so please give me suggestions or advice as to where you buy your orihinal one-sheet movie posters or good places to look!

Thanks a lot!!

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Check out The Nostalgia Factory. http://www.nostalgia.com/

They don't seem to have either of those two you mentioned in stock though. Excellent thing is the Unforgiven poster I bought from them for $30 8 years ago is now selling for $185. The Dune I bought for $25 is now selling for $85. Sadly, the Das Boot and Papillon haven't changed value at all.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I've been looking for an OUT OF THE PAST insert-style poster for ages, but have had no luck at all, no where.

filmposters.com is a good site. I had a good run on eBay a few years back and was able to buy up all the posters I needed at great before-anyone-caught-on prices. I got some from them.

But OUT OF THE PAST has eluded me. If you find two... :D

MC

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the help!!

$1,000 :eek:

Is there any possible chance of finding it for a little less?

Anyways, thanks for the link. For such high prices, do they generally sell in pristine and flawless condition?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit... a "Forbidden Planet" one-sheet is going for $12,000 US!?!?!

Also, FilmPosters listings for Out Of The Past don't look as nice as the reproduction art on Moviegoods for some reason, is this the original poster art and the reprod. was "touched up" in some ways?

For one thing, Mitchum doesn't have the cigarette hanging from his mouth anymore...

I wish there was a website that offered quality reproductions that didn't look like blown-up copies. The thing that bothers me most about the reprods. is the colors. They look terrible.

Does anyone know of another resource that's better for reproductions or will they all pretty much look the same? Maybe if I order the smaller 11x17 Masterporint it won't be as "phony" looking as the blown-up 27x40?

I'd like to try and find Winchester '73 and Forbidden Planet as well but I'm worried they'll look silly if I have a bunch of tiny 11x17 reproductions with bad color prints hanging all over my apartment...

12k for Forbidden Planet is insane!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Since original movie poster one-sheets were obviously not hand-painted originals themselves (I can't imagine commissioning an artist to produce hundreds of these for promotional use in theaters accross the country), I am curious as to the distinct differences (apart from value and collectibility) between the high-priced selling originals and the reproductions that can be purchased from anywhere between $20 and $80? Why is it that these reproduction pieces cannot accurately "reproduce" the original artwork down to detail when the original one-sheets were mass produced themselves... well maybe not mass produced by turned out in limited run but still significant numbers?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
$12,000 for a poster!? It IS made out of paper, right? ;)

I have an original Die Hard theatrical poster that I bought for 40 bucks 9 years ago, one of my favorites. :emoji_thumbsup:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, unfortunately I can't seem to find what I want anywhere...

So frustrating. I wish I had 20 grand just to spend on art for my new condo.

Can anyone answer my questions about the reproductions and originals though? I'm curious to learn more...

Thanks.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
$12,000 for a quality vintage Forbidden Planet poster can be a good price. See what Universal horror material sells for if you want to really see high prices - a one sheet for Karloff's The Mummy sold for over $400,000. I've seen the price on my 1958 Vertigo original one-sheet creeping well past the $5000 mark lately, so I'm very happy about that!

Remember that the reproduction are just that - reproductions. They are not made from the original printing plates but are merely scan/photographs of an original poster. Consequently, there is no way for them to match the clarity and vibrancy of the original material. Also, vintage posters were originally printed via the superior stone litho process rather than offest printing, so they have a much better original "look".

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
The forum at icollectmovieposters.com (formerly moviepostertalk) was shut down a few weeks ago due to bickering between dealers.

Most of the members moved to movieposterforum.com, though, which is good because they are helpful and knowledgable. They were of much assistance when I was buying my posters (the only reproduction there other than the small ones is Back to the Future).

As you're noticing, you can't buy classic posters unless you seriously want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks