Original Japanese "Ring" Finally Coming to the US?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Hall, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't seen this mentioned here, but with the American remake still pulling in good money at the box office, it seems as if someone at DreamWorks (or whoever owns the US rights) finally sees that there is a large demand for the original to be released on DVD in the US. Here's the rather cryptic rumor from the excellent Ringworld site:
    "Sources reveal that the original Japanese Ring will be made available on Region 1 (US) DVD some time next year. No word yet on when next year, but this is some welcome news indeed for American fans."
    Very good news if it is indeed true. As I don't have a region free, PAL capable DVD player, I've had to hold myself back from obtaining an unauthorized copy, but the fact that this one might finally be made available legally in the US is a current dream come true.
    My only question is this: how will it be released here? Is it going to be a standalone disc of its own, or will it be part of the eventual DVD release of the American "Ring"? I'd rather see it as a separate disc personally, with lots of information on the people who were originally behind it, so the US version can stand on its own and tell its own stories. Thoughts?

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Thanks for the info. If this is true, I'll be all over the DVD! Both the original and the remake are horror classics in my eyes, and I hope the R1 DVDs of both have wonderful transfers and some outstanding extras!

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

My co-worker bought Ring 1 and 2 DVDs from a comic book store, did he buy unauthorized DVDs? I believe the company was Tartan. I don't have a region free player, and they played fine for me.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    The R0 NTSC copies that are floating around are dups of the Tartan version converted (improperly) to NTSC. The conversion is a lousy Apex-player style conversion. I borrowed one of these from a friend and was surprised they went to all that trouble to replicate mass quantities of this and couldn't even do a simple conversion.

Anyway, this is all moot now since the R1 version will be out next year.

Jeff

6. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

thank god

cos the R2 Tartan sux, but is the only one to get for english speakers.

7. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

I hope that the other two films in the series will also get released. Ring 2 wasn't as good as Ring, but Ring 0 is one of the best prequels ever in any genre.

8. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

9. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

It's true. It was mentioned in Time Magazine that Dreamworks will be releasing Ringu on DVD next year. They didn't specify when though.

10. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

What's the AV Channel URL and do they ship to the U.S.?

11. Chris_House

Chris_House Agent

Here's the AV Channel release, from cdwow.net.
    http://www4.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=2641
    I got this a while back, and am very pleased with it. It's region 0, PAL, and this site has free shipping to the US, so the total was $15.95. I believe it's the same transfer as the Tartan release, with english subs and all the same features. Not too shabby.

12. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

THE DREAM :
    Disc One : THE RING (U.S.), Widescreen Anamorphic, 5.1 Dolby and dts, Directors Commentary, Trailers, Screensavers, and more....
    Disc Two : THE RING (JAPANESE), Widescreen Anamorphic, 5.1 Japanese Dolby and dts (w/eng-subtitles), Directors Commentary (w/subtitles), Writers Commentary (w/subtitles), Trailers (RING, RING2, RING VIRUS, DARK WATERS) and more......
    [​IMG]

13. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

14. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

15. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins