Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
1217 “A Bird in Hand”

He played a con artist in “Mr. Garrity and the Graves” from the Twilight Zone and he played a con artist here! It was good to see him again after all these years.

1217.JPG

I love when Steve talks about his childhood: “My father used to give us a penny a line to learn poetry.” A true gem of dialogue among all the season 12 lumps of coal.

PDVD_010.JPG

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
1217 “A Bird in Hand”

He played a con artist in “Mr. Garrity and the Graves” from the Twilight Zone and he played a con artist here! It was good to see him again after all these years.

View attachment 45847

I love when Steve talks about his childhood: “My father used to give us a penny a line to learn poetry.” A true gem of dialogue among all the season 12 lumps of coal.

View attachment 45848
Unfortunately, Mike Quigley didn't really like that one!

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
SPOILERS FOR LAST EPISODE

1218 “Woe to Wo Fat”

I’m composing this live while I watch the final episode of Hawaii Five-O.

I’m having a hard time believing the gas they used on the doctor would make her so pliable. In previous episodes, this step took work by the bad guys. But I’m going with it.

Wo Fat made his final entrance of the series. I don’t recall seeing him in season 11 at all and maybe not in 10. It’s been a long time since he appeared.

1218a.JPG

8:50: I swear that’s Jack Lord in the bed with the white hair playing the professor talking to Steve McGarrett.

11:30: And so it is.

13:55: I love the Albert Einstein homing device!

17:30 Wo Fat would have recognized McGarrett instantly. Ugh. But this is the last episode and I’m going to keep going with it.

35:42: I swear Lord pulls the antenna out of his Albert Einstein prop and then nonchalantly puts it back in!

Finally, at 37:13 into the episode:

1218b.JPG

38:10: McGarrett’s in trouble!

39:39 McGarrett is making shadow puppets. Oh dear.

1218c.JPG

I was a bit disappointed Wo Fat didn’t buy it.

And I had mixed feelings about the suggestion the prison wouldn’t hold him long. On the one hand, I wanted finality, on the other, it’s nice to create the sense that the show goes on even after it ends.

And so it does...

Tomorrow I’ll post on the special features. What a ride it's been!

PDVD_003 (2).JPG

Last edited:

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Tomorrow I’ll post on the special features. What a ride it's been!
Are you talking about the entirety of the features throughout the whole series (episodic promos and all)?

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
SPECIAL FEATURES

The 30-minute documentary was terrific. No BS and truly insightful. A great look into the gritty realities of producing a weekly network TV show.

The other bits were fun as well, but the 30-minute documentary is something I'll visit again.

I remember when I bought the set from sheer stuff lust. It sat on my shelf for years. It was only when I got CBS Partial Access to watch STAR TREK DISCOVERY that I started watching the Five-O pilot, and the quality was so bad streaming it that I had to dig out these beautiful DVDs. And I didn’t stop watching till the end.

Since I found nothing rewatchable in season 12, the last list I posted stands as my final list. But just for fun I'll put together a top-ten-episode list and post that tomorrow. :)

PDVD_003 (5).JPG

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Darin
I wish there was some interest in getting the network fall TV preview shows released in their entirety. CBS DVD and Paramount have provided excerpts as bonus material for several of their classic shows. I guess each studio still holds the rights for the clips and it would be hard to clear every one. But it sure would be fun to see. I remember watching these as a kid in the 70's.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
It was only when I got CBS Partial Access to watch STAR TREK DISCOVERY that I started watching the Five-O pilot, and the quality was so bad streaming it that I had to dig out these beautiful DVDs.
I guess that streaming trouble is why you called it "CBS Partial Access"-- an apt name for it if the streaming is that awful and it leads you to start seeing the discs!

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
There’s no way a show as good as Hawaii Five-O can be fairly represented by a measly top-ten list. Obviously there are many great episodes that didn’t make my top ten. My criteria was simple: Which ten episodes would I most want to rewatch right now, fresh on the heels of having just watched the entire twelve seasons?

In my opinion you can’t go wrong watching any or all of these episodes. They’re listed in the order I watched them from the set. I included “V is for Vashion” as one episode since all three hours have the same root title. There’s no way I could leave it off, yet it didn’t seem equitable for one story arc to eat up three of my precious choices.

Here are my ten favorite episodes of Hawaii Five O:

Samurai
King of the Hill
Blind Tiger
Reunion
Over Fifty—Steal
The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney
3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu
V is for Vashion (trilogy)
One Born Every Minute
How To Steal A Masterpiece

In the not too distant future, I want to take a day off and watch all ten episodes in a spectacular Five-O fest.

Here's to the best of the best...

PDVD_004.JPG

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
Here are some leftover screen caps from my journey that I don't think I ever used. A shot of McGarrett's phone all lit up in the glory days.

phone.JPG

A couple of cool shots of the man...

PDVD_000 (4).JPG

vv.JPG

A friend of mine who sometimes came over and watched with me, took the bottom two pictures on Christmas Day 2017. Nice to see then...

aaaa.JPG

...and now....

BAB_3628_preview.jpeg

BAB_3642_preview.jpeg

Thanks to BB for these two great photos!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I can't tell you how much this thread has meant to me. I would've told you I was a semi-casual fan of the show having watched some reruns in the 80's and watching a few episodes on Netflix. I'm in "betwixt and between" mode right now pretty well unable to work and starting the process of fighting to get my disability going. I have looked forward to coming in during the evening and seeing the latest goings-on. I visit with my sister/best friend and her hubby during the day to keep my mind occupied, and then I visit this thread when I get in after I've did my evening devotionals. This has literally been a God-send that has been a blessing keeping my mind occupied. As soon as I get a settlement from SS and/or the hit and run I was in back in February, this show is on my "to buy" list!

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
I can't tell you how much this thread has meant to me. I would've told you I was a semi-casual fan of the show having watched some reruns in the 80's and watching a few episodes on Netflix. I'm in "betwixt and between" mode right now pretty well unable to work and starting the process of fighting to get my disability going. I have looked forward to coming in during the evening and seeing the latest goings-on. I visit with my sister/best friend and her hubby during the day to keep my mind occupied, and then I visit this thread when I get in after I've did my evening devotionals. This has literally been a God-send that has been a blessing keeping my mind occupied. As soon as I get a settlement from SS and/or the hit and run I was in back in February, this show is on my "to buy" list!
Your message means a lot to me. Thank you.

I started watching the series back in post 24 of this thread. And here we are seven months later. It’s been a great ride. I took pride in posting every day, even when I was extremely ill over the holidays. I appreciate everyone who took the journey with me. You made watching this great series so much more fun than it would have been alone. Truth be told, I probably wouldn’t have reached the end in such a timely fashion without knowing all of you were going to be here. Thanks for that.

So I’m shutting off the lights in Steve’s office and heading over to meet Barnaby Jones in the Quinn Martin thread. I plan to be there every day, starting tomorrow, at least for the duration of season seven. Hope to see you there...

The End.JPG

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Lead Actor
Supporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
So I’m shutting off the lights in Steve’s office and heading over to meet Barnaby Jones in the Quinn Martin thread. I plan to be there every day, starting tomorrow, at least for the duration of season seven. Hope to see you there...

View attachment 45986
I have enjoyed your insights into this show. Seems like I might need to pick some seasons of this one up.

Have a glass of milk and say hello to Betty for me.

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus in praise and thanks for your reviews, impressions, episode rankings and great screenshots, Alan! Looking forward to your views on Barnaby Jones.

And thanks also for the contributions of everyone else in making this a very enjoyable thread!

Hawaii Five 0 is a show that we watched consistently first run...myself following it closely for about the first six years, after that I rarely watched the show because of College, going into the Army, travel for work and just generally chasing girls in my late teens and early 20s. So I think I need to pick up the complete series too, although it might take me another lifetime to watch them all.

Another personal memory that I have from the very early 70s when I was in High School and watching Five 0 weekly concerns QM's The FBI...the Italian American Anti-defamation League and it's leader Joe Colombo were much in the news waging a highly publicized campaign against ABC, Quinn Martin Productions The FBI, and that show's prime sponsor, the Ford Motor Company. The protests regarding the frequent references on The FBI to the Mafia, La Cosa Nostra, the Organization, etc., and having mobster characters with obviously Italian ethnic names in plot lines. The Italian American Anti-defamation league (IAADL) had about 45 thousand paying members and staged huge protest rallies in NYC's Columbus Circle in both 1970 and 1971...Frank Sinatra hosted a huge fund raiser with Joe Colombo for the IAADL at MSG in November 1970. The protest campaign against The FBI was prominently featured in the news of 1971. Eventually, Ford, ABC and QM were kowtowed into altering references to organized crime, expunging all references to Italian organized crime and no longer using obviously Italian names for criminals on the show. As The FBI made the claim that their stories were based on actual FBI case files, this was embarrassing to say the least.

Like all American network shows, Hawaii Five 0 was also subject to this intimidation campaign...when they introduced the character of "Vashon" as the resident crime boss of Hawaii, my Mother (a very Catholic and French Canadian Lady with relatives named Vachon) stopped watching the show out of resentment at the obviously successful intimidation of Five 0's writing as a result of the IAADL campaign. Not that we had anything against Italians, having many solid and hard working Italians as our neighbors and friends. But my Mom thought labeling the crime boss as a Frenchman was no "improvement" she could stand by, ha, ha...

Consider this...the leader of this protest movement, Joe Colombo, was himself actually a Mafia crime boss!...at the IAADL's huge protest rally in Columbus Circle on June 28, 1971, Joe Colombo was shot 3 times in the head by another Mafia crime family's hit man. The gunman was immediately killed in the chaotic aftermath. Incredibly, Joe Colombo survived this shooting. Although he never fully recovered, dying in 1978.

So, even though the IAADL was on the way out, it's influence persisted long after in American network television. Even as that coercion was rendered all the more ridiculous with the pop culture success of the Oscar acclaimed Godfather films which soon followed.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Darin
So I’m shutting off the lights in Steve’s office and heading over to meet Barnaby Jones in the Quinn Martin thread
vlcsnap-2018-05-01-05h01m12s388.png

No, it's not the theme for season 12 of Hawaii Five-0, but a season 8 two hour installment of Barnaby Jones. You would think the producers would use the opportunity to put the former Miss America in a nice outfit at least once on the beach. Alas, even in paradise Betty is still answering the phone.
vlcsnap-2018-05-01-05h03m21s967.png

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Darin
the Italian American Anti-defamation League and it's leader Joe Colombo were much in the news waging a highly publicized campaign against ABC, Quinn Martin Productions The FBI, and that show's prime sponsor, the Ford Motor Company. The protests regarding the frequent references on The FBI to the Mafia, La Cosa Nostra, the Organization, etc., and having mobster characters with obviously Italian ethnic names in plot lines.
Interesting reading. I was aware that similar problems plagued The Untouchables in the early 60's. Probably why Mission:Impossible would always face The Syndicate in it's later years instead of The Mafia. And then The Godfather, which is even more stereotypical, made them heroes. Go figure.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
As soon as I get a settlement from SS and/or the hit and run I was in back in February, this show is on my "to buy" list!
Condensed all-in-one w/the three big cases?

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus here...thanks, Alan, and to everyone else, for making this such a fun and visually interesting thread! It's been a real pleasure following along (couldn't keep up with your pace myself, Alan...still way back in season 1) but have enjoyed all the discussion (and warnings about the dreaded season 12.) Lots of memories shared here as well, which added a nice personal touch to things.

See you guys in the Barnaby Jones thread...and hopefully later this year, in a Magnum P.I. re-watch thread (got the first 2 seasons in transit, and season 3 on deck, just in case).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faber