What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I bought the Kindle version of the Five-O book a few months back and have been enjoying it. It's not an encyclopedic break-down of the series like the Star Trek: TOS and I Spy books by Marc Cushman or the Twilight Zone Companion by Marc Scott Zicree (which are the pinnacle of TV show reference works as far as I'm concerned), but neither is it as thin and lacking in info or insight as the Kessler Wild Wild West book. What I like about the Rhodes book is that she gives her opinions on the worth (or lack thereof) of each Five-O episode; this kind of opinionated episode-by-episode analysis bothers some people, but I for one like that approach, even when I disagree with the author's take. IMO, why even bother going through the episodes in your book if you don't have anything to say about them? Kessler's book (ditto the Route 66 book by James Rosin, another slight piece of work, aside from its introductory chapter) wastes a lot of page space on episode synopses. These are unnecessary in the age of the internet, where anyone can log on to the IMDB or Wikipedia to get basic episode info. To be fair to Kessler, this wasn't the case when she first published her WWW book, but it was when she republished it digitally several years ago, and added very little new information.

Other very good / excellent TV reference books in my personal library include:

- The Fugitive, The Rockford Files and Maverick books by Ed Robertson
- The Night Stalker Companion by Mark Dawidziak
- The Mission Impossible Dossier by Patrick J. White
- Cult TV: The Golden Age of ITC by Robert Sellers (though this is more of an overview of multiple series, and thus isn't as in-depth as I'd like, but covers all of the many ITC shows with lots of interviews)

- The recent Mr. Novak book by Chuck Harter

- Lots of good books on Star Trek and Doctor Who. For the latter, I like the (highly opinionated but info-packed) About Time series and the two (so far) Running Through Corridors books.

- The Outer Limits Companion by David J. Schow, long out-of-print but legendary

There are MANY others, some good ones I'm sure I'm forgetting, but you can't go wrong with any of the above.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I bought the Kindle version of the Five-O book a few months back and have been enjoying it. It's not an encyclopedic break-down of the series like the Star Trek: TOS and I Spy books by Marc Cushman or the Twilight Zone Companion by Marc Scott Zicree (which are the pinnacle of TV show reference works as far as I'm concerned), but neither is it as thin and lacking in info or insight as the Kessler Wild Wild West book.
Good points Jeff. I bought the WWW book decades ago, and enjoy it for what it is. There are plenty of interesting photos that are better in hand than on a tablet too. I mentioned another book in another thread that I consider on par with the ones you mentioned. The Complete Mission Impossible Dossier by Patrick J. White. He covers both eras of the TV series.
518YR72E66L._SX365_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Yep, agreed, that's a very good book. It would be nice to see a Five-O book in the format he (Patrick White), Ed Robertson and esp. Marc Cushman all use in theirs. That said, I think the Rhodes book is a good read, esp. if you're working your way through the series in episodic order.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I bought the Kindle version of the Five-O book a few months back and have been enjoying it. It's not an encyclopedic break-down of the series like the Star Trek: TOS and I Spy books by Marc Cushman or the Twilight Zone Companion by Marc Scott Zicree (which are the pinnacle of TV show reference works as far as I'm concerned), but neither is it as thin and lacking in info or insight as the Kessler Wild Wild West book. What I like about the Rhodes book is that she gives her opinions on the worth (or lack thereof) of each Five-O episode; this kind of opinionated episode-by-episode analysis bothers some people, but I for one like that approach, even when I disagree with the author's take. IMO, why even bother going through the episodes in your book if you don't have anything to say about them? Kessler's book (ditto the Route 66 book by James Rosin, another slight piece of work, aside from its introductory chapter) wastes a lot of page space on episode synopses. These are unnecessary in the age of the internet, where anyone can log on to the IMDB or Wikipedia to get basic episode info. To be fair to Kessler, this wasn't the case when she first published her WWW book, but it was when she republished it digitally several years ago, and added very little new information.

Other very good / excellent TV reference books in my personal library include:

- The Fugitive, The Rockford Files and Maverick books by Ed Robertson
- The Night Stalker Companion by Mark Dawidziak
- The Mission Impossible Dossier by Patrick J. White
- Cult TV: The Golden Age of ITC by Robert Sellers (though this is more of an overview of multiple series, and thus isn't as in-depth as I'd like, but covers all of the many ITC shows with lots of interviews)

- The recent Mr. Novak book by Chuck Harter

- Lots of good books on Star Trek and Doctor Who. For the latter, I like the (highly opinionated but info-packed) About Time series and the two (so far) Running Through Corridors books.

- The Outer Limits Companion by David J. Schow, long out-of-print but legendary

There are MANY others, some good ones I'm sure I'm forgetting, but you can't go wrong with any of the above.

Speaking of which, did you go in for that Grabman Petrocelli book on Kindle yet?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Speaking of which, did you go in for that Grabman Petrocelli book on Kindle yet?

Heh. I knew you'd bring that up, Ben! No, not yet...the Petrocelli DVD set has shipped, but it's waiting for me at the parents' house in the States...won't get my hands on it until this August. I'll try and get the ebook soon.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
No, not yet...the Petrocelli DVD set has shipped, but it's waiting for me at the parents' house in the States...won't get my hands on it until this August.

Glad to hear (as I heard in your post in that Last TV DVD/Blu Bought thread) that you went in for the DVD release at least! As you won't be with it till August, time will tell whether your copy will be of the brownish color scheme of Alan's (Carabimero's), or mine with the blue/white scheme.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Glad to hear (as I heard in your post in that Last TV DVD/Blu Bought thread) that you went in for the DVD release at least! As you won't be with it till August, time will tell whether your copy will be of the brownish color scheme of Alan's (Carabimero's), or mine with the blue/white scheme.

Hmmm. Yes, I shall report back when I have the copy in my grubby little hands (probably in the Petrocelli thread). This has been my usual practice after years of living overseas...Rather than pay for expensive shipping from the States, I just wait, buy DVDs and BDs that I want when they are on sale, if at all possible, have them shipped to my family's home in Washington State, then travel back with a bunch of discs after my annual visits in the summer. I did this with the first two seasons of Hawaii Five-O, but this last February a good friend of mine who lives in Kyoto gifted me several DVDs, including pristine copies of seasons 3-7 and 10-12 of Five-O. Wasn't sure I wanted the last 3 seasons, but now that I have them, I figure I might as well pick up seasons 8 and 9 to complete the series.

That's why I'm awaiting Alan's (and others') views on the last 3 seasons. I guessed I was in pretty safe hands for the first 7 seasons, but have heard less good things about those last few years of the show.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I had the distinct and rare pleasure of meeting one the original writers of the series just last week. Mr. Jerome Coopersmith, writer of Samurai, Blind Tiger, Nine Dragons and about 30 more episodes, had his will finalized by my law firm. The attorney is a friend who allowed me to witness the signing and Mr. Coopersmith was more than gracious to entertain a fan. In fact, he was quite excited to talk about his time on the series.

Well into his 90’s, he was charming and funny, and had some wonderful and affectionate stories about his process, “Lenny” Freeman and Jack Lord.

He even signed my Columbia House Vhs sleeve for Nine Dragons (one of my favorite episodes).

A lovely man and a memory I’ll enjoy for years.

Attachments

• 2D641298-E294-42A5-A3CA-D99D0B8861C2.jpeg
    2D641298-E294-42A5-A3CA-D99D0B8861C2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I met James McArthur at a signing about 10 years ago. He was great to talk with--we chatted for 10 or 12 minutes in between signings. Very nice fellow. He signed one of my Columbia House tapes "To Danno from Danno."

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1017 “Tall on the Wave”

1017a.JPG

Nice surfing episode. And another good exchange between Danno and Steve.

Steve: How do you know [your friend] won’t take a shot at you?

Danno: I like to think positively.

Steve: Good, Danno. Good. Think positively. (pause) And carry a big stick.

1017b.JPG

This is the first time I have seen something in frame that shouldn’t be there (above). Looks like a man from the crew (at frame left). I bet he wasn’t (isn’t) visible on the old (and maybe new) TVs, but my giant computer monitor shows all :)

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Wow, I haven’t seen Carol Lynley in anything I remember except The Poseidon Adventure
Lovely looking lady. Not a very good actress for the roles I've seen her in. Very limited in her facial expressions. Always seemed to play a nasty character too. The closest she came to greatness was Bunny Lake is Missing (1965).
bunny2.jpg

She played the title role in Harlow (1965).
440px-Carol_Lynley_as_Harlow.jpg

A "so bad it's good" movie with plenty of eye candy is Once You Kiss a Stranger (1969).
cl76492865.jpg

She appeared in several TV dramas in the 70's. 11 times on Fantasy Island!
a629e7735424168db5b5997d0be0a577--carol-lynley-fantasy-island.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Lovely looking lady. Not a very good actress for the roles I've seen her in. Very limited in her facial expressions. Always seemed to play a nasty character too. The closest she came to greatness was Bunny Lake is Missing (1965).
bunny2.jpg

cl76492865.jpg

...and of course, Kolchak's hostess girlfriend in The Night Stalker.
GN-Carol-Lynley-The-Night-Stalker-1972-2.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have to say: Season ten has a lot more quality episodes than I ever imagined.

It is pretty good, although season 9 episodes are more memorable to me for some reason--now you have me wanting to re-watch the tenth season.

The only episode that sticks out from sn. 10 to me is the last episode, and damn it is powerful.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1021 “Frozen Assetts”

This was a thoroughly entertaining episode for me. I hope Mildred Natwick’s character, Millicent Shand, does indeed return before the run of this series ends. I enjoyed her interplay with McGarrett. But what I enjoyed most was simply seeing her again. The only thing I had ever seen her in besides this episode was a 1972 TV movie with Jason Robards called THE HOUSE WITHOUT A CHRISTMAS TREE. So maybe I am seeing this episode with rose-colored glasses because of her being in one my childhood TV favorites, but I did enjoy “Frozen Assets.” If I’m not mistaken, Millicent Shand got her own theme. Nice music, I thought.

1021 Frozen Assets.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks