What's new

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1001 “Up the Rebels”

Not a particularly bad episode, just seemed uninspired. The stakes were so diluted that I felt little sense of urgency. But McGarrett jumping off the draw bridge at the end was pretty neat!

1001.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1002 “You Don’t See Many Pirates These Days”

As always, love to see Steve tending to his boat.

1002a.JPG

Odd to see Mark Lenard in such a toothless role. I think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him have an inconsequential part. I am bias because I like him, but IMO he’s always solid.

1002c.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1003 “Cop on the Cover”

Usually polite and well-mannered, I love how loud and convicted McGarrett gets here against reckless journalism. The dialogue about sexism was particularly good.

And here we are in 2018.

1003a.JPG

For some reason this episode left me craving Lay's potato chips....

1003b.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
1003 “Cop on the Cover”

Usually polite and well-mannered, I love how loud and convicted McGarrett gets here against reckless journalism. The dialogue about sexism was particularly good.

Love the end of the episode, that great scene between McGarrett and Jean Simmons’ journalist (another actress, btw, who went on to appear in STAR TREK: TNG), and the rare moment where McGarrett enjoys an alcoholic beverage over the wonderful music cue.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Odd to see Mark Lenard in such a toothless role. I think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him have an inconsequential part. I am bias because I like him, but IMO he’s always solid.

View attachment 44625

I couldn't agree with you more. In my honest opinion he is the most underrated actor of the 70's(and 60's and 80's). Mark Lenard deserved so much more than bit parts, and guest starring roles. He was an amazing talent with a strong presence. I read, and listened to nearly every interview I can find with him, and it made me admire him even more. Humble, honest, and just from those interviews you could tell he was all heart.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I couldn't agree with you more. In my honest opinion he is the most underrated actor of the 70's(and 60's and 80's). Mark Lenard deserved so much more than bit parts, and guest starring roles. He was an amazing talent with a strong presence. I read, and listened to nearly every interview I can find with him, and it made me admire him even more. Humble, honest, and just from those interviews you could tell he was all heart.

My favorite H5O role of his was Bok in the Season 6 episode “Secret Witness”. He played it with a nice degree of arrogance.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
1003 “Cop on the Cover”
This episode is by Anne Collins and Gerry Day. Two women writers who wrote for television genre shows dominated by men in the last half of the 20th Century. Gerry Day was a newspaper reporter before writing for television. Day wrote for westerns such as Wagon Train, Laredo, The Virginian and The High Chaparral. Anne Collins was mostly a story editor or consultant on television shows such as Vega$ and Matlock. Collins was heavily involved in the last two years of Wonder Woman and the first year of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
0e11af82cabdd2c276903bfd06e3046a--jean-simmons-the-cops.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just last week I DVRed about 10 episodes of 77SSS, Hawaii and others. Went to watch them today and they're gone. It seems in the week span MeTV changed channels and my cable company deleted them. Well, started over some new ones.
Sorry that happened.

A good case for the ownership of disc-based media if I ever heard one.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Sorry that happened.

A good case for the ownership of disc-based media if I ever heard one.

Too many TV shows that I haven't even finished such as:

Adventures of Robin Hood
Cisco Kid
Band of Bros.
Decoy
The Flash (original)
Get Smart S1
Hogan's Heroes S2/3
Highway Patrol S2/3/4
I Spy S3
The Lone Ranger
Munsters S2
Mr. and Mrs. North
Mission Impossible S2
One Step Beyond
Rome
Rat Patrol
State Trooper
Spawn
Sea Hunt S1
Ultraman
William Tell
Wanted Dead or Alive and about 25 animated series.

Too many to watch, so little time.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Too many TV shows that I haven't even finished such as:

Adventures of Robin Hood
Cisco Kid
Band of Bros.
Decoy
The Flash (original)
Get Smart S1
Hogan's Heroes S2/3
Highway Patrol S2/3/4
I Spy S3
The Lone Ranger
Munsters S2
Mr. and Mrs. North
Mission Impossible S2
One Step Beyond
Rome
Rat Patrol
State Trooper
Spawn
Sea Hunt S1
Ultraman
William Tell
Wanted Dead or Alive and about 25 animated series.

Too many to watch, so little time.

I'm right in with you-- I've got so much stuff to see, I don't know if I'll ever catch up and break even; I'm swamped!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1004 “The friends of Joey Kalima”

I laughed when the record store owner blew the dust off the Sinatra album before selling it to the cop.

I also liked it when McGarrett spoke to the wives of cops and told them they ranked higher than he did.

1004 The friends of Joey.JPG

But what I liked most about the episode was that Joey helped McGarrett figure out the mystery. Would love to see Joey somewhere down the line, though I realize as I move through season 10 that the line is, all too sadly, getting shorter.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
1005 “The Descent of the Torches”

1005.JPG

Normally I enjoy episodes that deal with the history and culture of Hawaii, and I thought I would like this one, but ultimately I didn’t get it. Steve seems to have a breakthrough using the board with the word “Kali,” and then, unless I miss something, well, nothing happens. There is no resolution to the deaths. Am I to believe the cause was superstitious? I’m not opposed to that interpretation, but the episode seemed to stop rather than end. And McGarrett didn’t seemed bothered by the lack of resolution, which is what I think disturbed me most about this episode. He never quits till he gets his man. Except this time.

I hope I missed something.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
but the episode seemed to stop rather than end.
I think you are having the same experience most Five-0 fans have by this point. The show hasn't become terrible, just a little off and warped from it's once glorious past. The pacing of episodes is lacking. Resolutions are not earned. Not enough time spent on quality investigations. There are some plots that I feel would warrant two parts, but are speed along to unsatisfying conclusions. I'll have some more specific examples when you get to episode nine, "Deep Cover". I feel that in the Leonard Freeman years this would have been a two part classic.
CBS_HAWAII_FIVE_O_7709_IMAGE_CIAN_388909_640x360.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks