1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Original Hawaii Five-O Complete Series Package

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rick Thompson, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    But it's the young and beautiful Lee Purcell, so all is forgiven. At least for me. Who wouldn't enjoy 49 minutes of this face, no matter the plot.
    .[​IMG]

2. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Sometimes I am clearly too much of a story editor and not enough of a pure watcher. What can I say? It's my blessing. And my curse.:3dglasses:

820 “A Killer Grows Wings”

I love to freeze episodes and read the newspapers, words the creators never thought people would have time to see. I’ve read some of the on-camera papers from THE FUGITIVE and seen some odd things, but never the same paragraph repeated right after itself. These papers are fun to look at (I know—I may have too much time on my hands! But I’m not bored!)

820 A Killer Grows wings.JPG

3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    I guess I never give it as much thought as I should, but we all view TV and films thru a different lens.;)That's the main reason I come here. Everyone shares their views without a lot of name calling or personal attacks. I tend to consider TV shows a product of their time and judge them more on what came before or was on opposite, rather than what has transpired after. I am far more critical of newer shows. I expect the writers and directors to be aware of the history of their medium. That may be my curse for being a History major.

4. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    821 “The Capsule Kidnapping”

I admire the creativity of the kidnappers in wanting to keep their victim submerged and hidden underwater, but it seems like a lot of trouble and so many things could go wrong. The imagination put into this story was laudable, if not the reality.

821.JPG

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  5. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    Another episode I have no memory of. I'll have to dig it out and take another (or first if I skipped it) look. Premise does seem intriguing. But, how is the presentation? OK, I've made myself want to watch it NOW!

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Carabimero like this.
  6. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    822 “Love Thy Neighbor, Take His Wife”

822.JPG

Seeing David Huddleston and James Karen standing side by side here made me smile and think of one of my favorite guilty pleasures in all the world, a movie where they stand side by side again: the great, the magnificent, the one and only--Capricorn One!

PDVD_000.JPG

7. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    I watched "The Capsule Kidnapping" last night. It's a solid entry for the show. One minor quibble, why no helicopter when tracking the kidnappers? They certainly used it for similar situations in the past. I liked seeing the team being used to maximum effect. Chin Ho gets to be the hero by rescuing the little boy with the Coast Guard. Way to go Ho!
    [​IMG]

8. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

For some reason, my eyes aren't exactly drawn to her face in that photo.

9. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    A little respite from cops in suits. Here is a less tempting shot for you.
    [​IMG]

10. 390 Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Flashgear

Flashgear Supporting Actor

Randall
    Ok, I blame you guys for this, ha, ha...putting the lovely Lee Purcell back in our heads...what a beauty, and she's still working in films with several recent credits...among my fevered adolescent memories, she makes quite the eye popping impression in Cannon season 3's "He Who Digs a Grave"... the star studded 2 hour season premiere with David Janssen, Anne Baxter, Barry Sullivan, Murray Hamilton, Tim O'Connor, R. G. Armstrong, Royal Dano, Dabbs Greer, etc., Directed by Richard Donner...I wish that episode was carried over on DVD, unedited into the cut in half syndicated versions...it would be something to see re-mastered to the standards of Hawaii Five-0...too bad, as there was a lot of great northern California scenery at Grass Valley, the historic Hollbrooke Hotel, etc.
    [​IMG]

Please forgive me for this, ha, ha...I'm very much enjoying this thread, now back to Hawaii Five-0, and it's own stunning locations...

11. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    823 “A Sentence to Steal”

I always enjoy getting peeks at McGarrett’s office. There are so many interesting things to see, and many items are consistent from season to season. More times than not, the camerawork is especially fun to watch during scenes in Steve's office.

823 a sentence to steal.JPG

Flashgear, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Here is my rewatchable episodes list through season 8. An asterisk denotes a true gem, IMHO the best of the best.

Season One
    Full Fathom Five
    Samurai*
    And They Planted Daisies on His Coffin
    King of the Hill
    The Box
    Once Upon A Time

Season Two
    To Hell with Babe Ruth
    Forty Feet High and It Kills
    King Kamehameha Blues
    All The King’s Horses
    The Joker’s Wild, Man, Wild
    Which Way Did They Go?
    Blind Tiger*
    Cry, Lie

Season Three
    And a Time To Die
    The Second Shot
    Reunion*
    The Late John Louisiana
    Over Fifty—Steal*
    The Double Wall
    The Gunrunner
    The Bomber and Mrs. Moroney*

Season Four
    3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu*
    While You’re At It, Bring In The Moon
    The 90-Second War (2 parts)

Season Five
    Pig in a Blanket
    V is for Vashion (trilogy)*
    I’m a Family Crook Don’t Shoot
    Thanks for the Honeymoon
    Here Today…Gone Tonight
    Will the Real Mr. Winkler Please Die

Season Six
    Murder is a Taxing Affair
    The $100,000 Nickel
    The Flipside is Death
    One Born Every Minute*

Season Seven
    I’ll Kill ’Em Again
    How To Steal A Masterpiece*
    Bones of Contention

Season Eight
    Death’s Name is Sam
    Retire In Sunny Hawaii—Forever
    Wooden Model of a Rat
    Loose Ends Get Hit

Season Eight is the first season that I haven't denoted any gems, or what I thought were truly outstanding episodes. But I still enjoyed it.

PDVD_003 (6).JPG

13. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    The fact that Hawaii Five-0 remained so solid years into it's run on network TV is an impressive one. I still come back to it even when I have many more unwatched shows in my collection. This thread helps to keep me interested. As you move on to Season 9, we're about to hit McGarrett's big hat phase.
    [​IMG]

Flashgear, Jeff*H, Carabimero and 2 others like this.
  14. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    901 “Nine Dragons”

This was a nice double premiere episode because not only did Wo Fat lend his gravitas, but there was minimal padding!

901.JPG

So what’s up with the “temporary” Five-0 office?

901a.JPG

I once had a mail box just like this one, when I lived on a Christmas Tree farm in Ojai, CA. Took me right back. Good memories.

901b.JPG

This scene reminded me of my low-budget film-making days. I can’t say for sure why--the shots were all beautifully framed through a window into this classroom, but I am 99% sure, based on experience, they did it because the room was simply too small for all their film equipment. I’ve always said this and believe it to this day: limitations stoke creativity.

901c.JPG

It’s fun to see McGarrett and Wo Fat in the same shot. Usually, when when Wo Fat appears, they are rarely in the same room. It always makes me think of The Wrath of Khan: Kirk and Khan never had a scene together physically in the same place, yet their conflict was real and immediate, as it is in this nice episode.

901d.JPG

Can't believe I am now more than two-thirds through this fine series. And still enjoying myself capitally. :)

15. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    I read somewhere that the production was no longer able to shoot the exterior location for the original Five-0 office. I forgot when it happened, but it sounds like this season was it. The temporary office most likely bought time to find a suitable replacement for shooting.

Flashgear, Darby67 and Carabimero like this.
  16. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    902 “Assault on the Palace”

Creative caper story with the added bonus of lots of local color. The history of Hawaii, when it comes into play, is always interesting, but this time integral to the story. Neat!

902.JPG

17. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Second Unit

Darin
    This is an episode I never forget. Love the period uniforms. Great cast too. Micahel McGuire and Clu Gulager are excellent in every appearance I've seen them in. 50's to 70's television is filled with memorable guest stars.
    [​IMG]

18. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I'm really enjoying your posts, Darin. It makes watching the show so much more enjoyable.

903 “Oldest Profession – Latest Price”

I like to see Steve working on his boat. I wish they would have done more with that, maybe have him finish the boat eventually, take it on the water, craft an episode with the boat as its focus. I enjoy seeing Steve doing something other being a detective; it adds realism to the show when he plays the guitar, goes sailing, or just has a few minutes of fun.

903.JPG

19. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    904 “Man on Fire”

I do so enjoy when the show takes advantage of the natural beauty of the islands, the breathtaking vistas. In the case of finding bodies near a bubbling volcano, though, I have to wonder why the murderers simply didn’t pitch the bodies down into the lava. Of course I know the answer: because then there wouldn’t be any mystery, but that’s not the answer I seek!

That said, Pat Hingle usually provides a good time, and this episode was no exception. Nice to see him back. Hope he becomes a recurrent character.

904b.JPG

20. 400 Feb 16, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I think season 9 had some very good episodes.

"Tour De Force, Killer Aboard" was a nail biter with Amanda McBroom returning as Sandi Welles. What a good actress she is, and she makes H5O fresh (not that it ever feels stale.....well very rarely) because of the her chemistry, and dynamic with the boys. McGarret mainly.

She is also great in "Heads, You're Dead". I think they should have made her a regular in the show. I really do.

Alan, I can't wait for your review for these two eps.:)