What's new

original Grease dvd cover up at (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I'm kinda disappointed..it seems that the transfer and extras for this release are simply rehashes of the vhs and ld release from 4 1/2 years ago. Doesn't Paramount put any effort into their big releases?
Is it possible that all the money went to music rights clearances so there wasn't much left for new extras?

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Yes and no....I agree with you David, Heaven knows that I know about them revistiting titles (at least the ones that I want)...but Grease isn't one of Paramount's regular titles though. This is one of their big hitters. I have learned in my life and from getting DVD's...never say never.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Seen the specs for Saturday Night Fever?

Braveheart has Mel Gibson's first audio commentary. Chinatown has restrospective interviews. Fatal Attraction has a new retrospective featurette with new interviews. Forrest Gump has a second disc of materials including a lot of new bonus features. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released as the director's cut with a lot of new extras.

Grease may have the same retrospective featurette as before but why mess with a good thing? Plus the DVD does have two trailers and a songbook included with it.
Yeah, but look at all the major titles they have done nothing for... Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Face/Off, Top Gun, The Hunt For Red October, Coming to America...the list goes on.

Other, even smaller studios put forth more effort into SE's than Paramount does. For much better prices, as well and at just as good of quality (and sometimes even better).

And as far as Braveheart is concerned, it should've gotten a DVD treatment along the lines of Gladiator, but it didn't have half of what Gladiator had. I suppose we're lucky we got what we got though, considering this is Paramount.

Will K

Screenwriter
Is it possible that all the money went to music rights clearances so there wasn't much left for new extras?
I'd bet $$$ on that. 'Tis a shame they are giving in to the MAR crowd, but hey, at least they aren't Columbia or VileVista.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
GREASE is the word, and I almost broke down and went hunting for the LD, thinking seeing this on DVD was a lost cause! This movie came out my senior year in high school and will bring back tons of memories!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Yeah, but look at all the major titles they have done nothing for... Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Face/Off, Top Gun, The Hunt For Red October, Coming to America...the list goes on.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Features the ONLY audio commentary by director John Hughes to date.

Face/Off - One of the first DVDs to come out from Paramount back in 1998, at least it was dual-layered & 16:9 from the start!

The Hunt For Red October - Also, one of the first DVDs back in 1998.

And I was surprised that Paramount Home Entertainment interviewed Elizabeth Taylor anew for the A Place In The Sun retrospective featurette.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You know, 99% of the time, on LD and DVD, Paramount have pretty much come through for me in terms of meeting my demands for picture and sound.

Grease is one of the main titles I have wanted on DVD since I first bought into the format years ago, and now it's finally coming and it's anamorphic OAR. I am happy. Anything else is just a bonus, but at the end of the day, a good transfer is worth my $20 odd alone.

My 2 er, pence!

Dan

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Can anyone tell me if this disc is an Amaray case or a naff carboard cover. (I can't tell from the scan)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks