Original GODZILLA

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Cathy Suzan, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Cathy Suzan

Cathy Suzan Stunt Coordinator

Is there any news on the DVD release date of the original Japanese version of GODZILLA?

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

By an American company or by a foreign company?

3. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

I was wondering too as the Japanse film got some American distribution earlier this year. I would assume Columbia would own the rights to the DVD here.

4. Jason^G

Jason^G Auditioning

I understand the situation Toho doesn't want Columbia or Criterion to release the definitive Japanese version on DVD (they don't like competition).

Janus did the restoration/ and Rialto is in charge of the theatrical distribution of Gojira. Usually this means a strong likelihood of a Criterion release on DVD.

Criterion could be working on the DVD, with Toho providing the subtitles for a 2005 release.

Columbia may be blocking Criterion in order to release the film themselves or simply to protect their Godzilla franchise in the United States, and Toho is VERY protective in licensing their films. They made Criterion re-call Seven Samurai just to add region 1 encoding and to remove a restoration demo!

Outside the three studios involved, I don’t think anyone is privy to what is going on, or what the priorities of the studios are. Nor would Criterion or Columbia announce the title months in advance even if they were working on the DVD.

I can’t envision Columbia bothering with all the negotiations, fees, bribes, lawsuits, and corporate assassinations that would be required to secure the rights AND access to the original film negatives from Toho. It simply is too much money and hassle just to release the original cut of the film in Japanese and English subs.

Criterion did manage to release The Leopard, a film many never expected to see on home video, let alone a 3-disc set!

So if any studio is going to release Gojira it would be Criterion.

5. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

Many years ago Criterion announced it was going to release several Godzilla films on LD and then nothing more was said.

I see that Columbia/Tristar is releasing GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER in a month or two.

6. Jason^G

Jason^G Auditioning

Columbia/Tristar is also releasing on 10/19

Godzilla (1998)
    Godzilla And Mothra: Battle For Earth
    Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora
    Godzilla Vs. Hedorah
    Godzilla Vs. Gigan
    Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla

Also, a 3, 5, and 7 disc set are up for pre-order====sorry I can't post links [​IMG]

each film is $24.96

I'm sure the Columbia lawyers are trying to secure the rights to release Godzilla. Criterion, of course, wants to release the Janus restoration of Gojira.

(Ishirô Honda’s Gojira was re-edited by Terry Morse, who shot additional footage, renamed it "Godzilla, King of the Monsters," inserted scenes containing Raymond Burr, and had it dubbed into English.)

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Of course, I'd LOVE to see a Criterion "Gojira"! I was disappointed when the LDs didn't happen.

8. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

There is an Australian, region 4, PAL DVD release of the orig. Japanese version with subs and the American Godzilla: King of the Monsters on the same disc coming in Oct. Surely a R-1 can't be too far behind...?

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/229241

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

We caught the theatrical run of Godzilla in Detroit recently. We were caught in construction and missed the first 20 minutes or so, though ! [​IMG] Hoping for a DVD release of the unhacked version.

10. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

Any recent news on a DVD release here in North America? Would absolutely love to see an R1 release of that Australian R4 release!!

11. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

I would like a widescreen R1 release of Terror Of Mechagodzilla.