What's new

Original Chaney 'Phantom Of The Opera' Blu-ray coming from Image/FPA (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
From Nitrateville.com:

David Shepard said:

"I might as well tell the world that we are just completing production on a new edition of that old warhorse, POTO, for release through Image Entertainment in early October.

This will be Blu-Ray, mastered at Movietone aperture from much better 35mm material than we have ever used before. There will be two complete runs of the 1929 version: one at 24 fps with a new score by the Alloy Orchestra and an optional score on theatre pipe organ by Gaylord Carter, previously issued in monaural but now in stereo from the original master stereo recording; the second run at 20 fps with orchestra/soprano score by Gabriel Thibadeau and an optional new audio essay by Jon Mirsalis. Both runs will include the Technicolor sequence mastered from our 35mm YCM labs negative and hand colored scenes on the opera roof and in the scene of "intolerable heat." The program will also include a standard definition transfer of the original 1925 edit from a tinted 16mm print in the usual deplorable quality but with a superb new score by Frederick Hodges. Extras will include (as still images) set construction and production stills, publicity stills, original advertising art, frames from a stencil-colored French release, and the complete script."

As a fan of Shepard's 1990 2-disc laserdisc, this is welcome news. This should satisfy both camps - those who feel 'Phantom' should be screened at 24fps, and those who prefer 20fps. (I'm in the 24fps camp, since the opening titles, lantern man, Mary Fabian/Carlotta and 'Spinning Wheel' sections are all that remain of footage shot for the sound re-release, integrated into the 1930 silent reissue). Gaylord Carter's organ score, dating back to Blackhawk's 16mm (I still have a print) and Super 8 mag sound days, will live again! (Lee Erwin's is still my favorite, though, from the Griggs-Moviedrome Essex Films version). Production materials are again recycled from the CAV laserdisc supplements and Image DVD's, but, the play's the thing!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I can only assume they are announcing this now because I finally bit the bullit and bought the DVD version a couple months ago. Curses! :rolleyes:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
still somwhat baffeled by this, that the inclusion of the "25" version is dvd and stated as being from a deplorable 16mm show at home print, i understand that the original negative is no longer there, but and this is an assumpition, there could be a way to make this to the same quality that Metropilos was , i belive the extra footage was 16mm, and while not pristine, was presented in 1080, whish that would have been done to this as well.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No mention of retaining the Scott MacQueen commentary from the 1929 version of the DVD set.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Dick said:
No mention of retaining the Scott MacQueen commentary from the 1929 version of the DVD set.
Since the release features new scans, presented based on the speeds of the older Image/Blackhawk/FPA releases (1990 LD - 24 fps, 1997 LD/DVD - 20fps) that will re-use the corrosponding musical accompaniments, don't expect the audio supplements that accompanied the Photoplay edition (edited sound version discs and McQueen commentary), with a horrible PAL to NTSC conversion. This should at least mean the inclusion of the 'lantern man'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks