Original broadcast recreation ratings for TV show sets

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Michael Rogers, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

I'm new here and wonder if others like this idea this could be made sticky.

My idea is to rate (especially vintage) TV show sets on how closely they present the shows as originally broadcast.

I'm not only talking about unedited (although that is definataly a must), I'm talking about the inclusion of the ephemeral minutia that would usually now be missing from syndication versions.

Like:

The same studio bugs at the end that were on the show when originally broadcast as opposed to the insertion of updated studio bugs.

Providing the "In Color" anouncements at the beginnings of early color shows.

Providing "coming next week" previews for those shows that have it.

When available and feasable rights wise, provide sponsor openings, billboards and closings. Maybe even the broadcast commercials.

The ones that jump to mind as being "10"s for original broadcast recreation ratings are the image sets for The Dick Van Dyke Show and Definitive collection Twilight Zones. Both try to recreate the original broadcast form much more than most DVD sets do.

Sponsor billboards are available seperately on Twilight Zone sets. The ends of the shows have plugs for shows coming up after Twilight Zone and previews for next week. Also, some closing credits retain the sponsor bugs.

Dick Van Dyke also does the same, although I don't think they had scenes from next week and they had a sprinkling of sponsor material.

Shows that get an 9 are The Brady Bunch (original studio bugs, "In Color" anouncements)

Shows like Bewitched get a 7 or a 8. Sony inserts thier modern logo at the end. Also, the opening credits have one standardized opening theme for the Dick York years) when Bewithced' theme varied through the seasons.

If shows are edited, you should lose 5 points right there. Sometimes the footage is not available but most of the time it's just laziness.

2. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Punky Brewster has the original NBC logo before the show intro (season 1 only), and also during the end credits. Some season 2 episodes have the "NBC In Stereo" logo during the intro. Though the more modern NBC logo also appears after the end credits, so it loses a point for that. All episodes are also uncut and unedited, including the double-length episodes. Recaps from multiple-part episodes are also intact. The DVD lacks any bumpers (only assuming there are...the cartoon series did have bumpers, and I've noticed at least one on the DVD), so it loses another point. Overall, it gets an 8 for original presentation.

Anything from Sony is guaranteed to not get a 10. Perhaps Seinfeld comes close, but who knows...

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    That isn't "the" NBC logo, it's the one for NBC International, Ltd. But I'm glad to have it anyway. Some episodes might have had a five or ten second bumper with the logo and the season's slogan, "Let's All Be There!" Such a logo always did air at the beginning of the broadcast feed, IIRC.

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

You know what pisses me off?

How Universal removes the original 1970s and 1980s Universal logos from their classic TV shows from what once followed the end theme music.....and putting the modern 2000s Universal logo at the beginning of each episode instead.

5. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Yes, it ticks me off too!

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Me three! I only own the Murder She Wrote Season 1 disc set, but it pisses me off nonetheless.

7. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Me 4, I hate the current Universal logo and that obnoxious music right before every episode and old movies too. They do leave old Universal logos up on some old movies, they need to go back to the one used on Buck Privates.

8. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, the pre-1960s Universal logos aren't as good as the one from the late 1990s, so forget the Abbott & Costello ones. [​IMG]