What's new

Original Audio CD to CDR (1 Viewer)

Kenn

Agent
Hi there.

I was wondering if i was to copy a original CD to CDR will the sound quality be the same on both? Or on the cdr will be reduced in quality? I have a cd burner for my pc.

Regards.
Kenn.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kenn, there are no hard and fast rules. Some say that the type of CD-R used influences the sound quality. There are differences in the dyes used and the reflectivities of the surfaces. I'm not sure I agree that the type of CD-R used matters, but the point has been raised before. More important to me is the type of burner you have and the recording speed you choose. I suppose the software one uses could influence the sound quality as well. Often times, it is found with either computer burners or stand-alone hi-fi burners that the best fidelity is found at slower recording speeds. Try recording a CD at 1x (i.e., real time) versus some higher speed and compare the sound quality of the resulting CD-Rs.

Kenn

Agent
HI Keith.
Thanks for the reply. Umm which software do you use yourself? Also what cdr media do you use? Also what burner?:)
I have a Samsung 12x Cd burner. I have a pioneer 104 dvd burner too but i use the samsung for cd's. I will try 1x and 2x burning.
Are the dark blue(verbatims) dye better or gold?
Regards.
Kenn.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The light green/blue ones should be the best for the money (its a 'silver silver' dye). Gold might be better, but its more expenisve.. the blue-green ones from verbatim arent as reflective as silver-silver discs...

When ripping, to ensure an exact copy, make sure the software rips in RAW mode. This way itll read everything as it is bit for bit.

Im a person who belives bit for bit. CDR brands dont matter, reflective dont matter, burners dont matter etc. As long as its a 1:1 copy with RAW read/write, the sound quality will sound the same (pops and clicks however, might be present in a poorly ripped CD)

Kenn

Agent
Hi Nickso.
Thanks for the info. I have this Eagles Hell freezes Over DVD DTS, it contains the DTS soundtrack and also the PCM soundtrack. I want to get the PCM 2 channel soundtrack and convert it to .wav to put it on a audio CDR. Is this possible?:) So i can play the CD on my cd player.
Regards.
Kenn.

Kenn

Agent
guys, one more thing,
what are some of your favorite albums that have the best imaging. Which ones create a real and unique soundstage that you can point out where everyone was standing when the recording was made. Which albums would be a good test to see how well someone's system creates a soundstage?
I just bought a NAD C521, thought i wanna test out:) I tried Boyz II Men "End of the road" track on their album, that sounded pretty good. It's like the singer is in the middle, ie not coming out from the left and right channel of the 2 channel audio cd:)
Regards.
Kenn.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kenn, I am using the CD burner that came in the Dell Dimension L1100R (Pentium III) PC I bought last year. Truthfully, I don't know what brand it is. For burning CDs, I use Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4, which came pre-loaded on the PC. I have used different brands of CD-Rs in the past couple of years, but currently, I am using Memorex 80-minute CD-Rs.

As for CDs that throw a good soundstage, what type of music do you like (genres, artists)?

Kenn

Agent
Hi Keith.
Thanks for the info. Hmm the genre's i like, well i like all sorts except heavy rock stuff and not really into country. The rest are good. I like r&b, pop, soft rock, dance, etc. Boyz II Men rocks:) Basically i like all sorts:)
Regards.
Kenn.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kenn, I have to think of some good albums for soundstaging. If you like female vocals, pick up Rebecca Pidgeon The Raven. The whole album sounds great, and her rendition of "Spanish Harlem" is beautiful. The albums is available on SACD, but the CD sounds great in its own right. If you like blues, try Keb' Mo' The Door. Again, this album is out on SACD, but I have the CD, and the CD sounds great. I know it is cliche, but I feel like Keb' Mo' is in my room.
Those are a couple examples that immediately come to mind. There are several albums out there that on the right system give an incredible "presence". I'm sure I could think of others when I am less tired. :)

Kenn

Agent
Hi Keith.
Thanks for the info. Yeah when you are less tired hopefully you can tell me more which are great:) My cd player can't play SACD's, i have a NAD C521i cd player, i should just buy the normal cd versions right or will the SACD sound better even though my cd player can't play SACD's?:P
Regards.
Kenn.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Kenn- Check out www.cdrfaq.org for everything you always wanted to know about ripping and burning CDs.
In my opinion, burning is not a big deal, either the hardware or the software.
But ripping, or digital audio extraction, is a very big deal. Easy CD Creator is just OK. But if you want to do it the best way possible? Use EAC in secure mode:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
And here is a tutorial:
http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm
As far as the media, I have found that if you use a name brand, you are usually OK. Fuji, TDK, etc. The biggest issue with media is, is it compatible with the CD drive you subsequently want to play it on? Only *your* testing can tell you that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kenn, your NAD player cannot play SACDs. However, some SACDs have CD layers. The Rebecca Pidgeon SACD does. So, your NAD player would ignore the SACD player and play the CD layer like it were any other CD. Sony SACDs, unfortunately, do not have CD layers, so make sure you buy the CDs. The Keb' Mo' titles I mentioned is a Sony title, so don't buy the SACD.

Kenn

Agent
Hi Keith.

Thanks for the info. So is there any advantage to buy SACD's even if my NAD can't play them? Cuz if i just buy the normal audio cds they should be cheaper than the SACD counterparts?

Regards.
Kenn.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kenn, in general, if you don't have an SACD player, there is no advantage in buying SACDs. Sony SACDs do not have CD layers, so they will do nothing for you. Other labels are producing hybrid discs that have CD layers. You might consider buying hybrids instead of the standard CD issues if you think you will buy an SACD player at some point. That way, you will avoid duplicate purchases (standard CD first, hybrid later). In general, I have found that the CD layers on SACD/CD hybrid discs sound the same as the standard CD issues, so I don't think you will run into situations where the hybrid discs offer an advantage.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
I have this Eagles Hell freezes Over DVD DTS, it contains the DTS soundtrack and also the PCM soundtrack. I want to get the PCM 2 channel soundtrack and convert it to .wav to put it on a audio CDR. Is this possible? So i can play the CD on my cd player.
Kenn, A standard cd copier will not work on this title as it's a dvd not a cd. In order to rip the 2 channel PCM track you will need a different type of software program which is a bit more complicated. It can be done however as I do it all the time. Do a general web search on dvd ripping and you'll find all the info you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks